Unknown disease help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiny tank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, here's the story. Last weekend my buddies noticed that two of my fish had ich. So the next day I cleaned they tank really good, cleaned te plants and fravel in hot water and replaced all the water. I also got some medication and began treatment immediately. After the second day of treatment my clown loach, who had ich, died. As well as a tiger barb that seemed just fine. I looked over my fish and none others had ich so I stopped the treatment.

It has been a week and now I come home last night to find my other two barbs dead for no apparent reason. I've only had these guys for a couple weeks. I also noticed that my vein tailed Danio had pinkish bumps all over him. He is pink so they could just be skin color. I flushed this Danio and my barbs.

Now I have a dragon fish, a bloodfin, a pleco, three zebra danios and a small orange fish I don't really know the name of. They are all acting fine, though all of my barbs had no sign of anything and just died. Please help! Thank you.

Hi and welcome to AA!!! What sized tank is this? How long as it been setup? What are your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, & ph? What are you using to test (liquid or strips)? What type of meds to did you try using? Treating for a single day would not have been to sufficient to kill off ich (if this is what you are dealing with). Some more information will help us to help you better!

Thanks! It's a 10 gallon. The tank has been running for over a year with no problems. I just used some ich clear liquid medicine which only said to treat until there are no more signs of ich. I don't know the nitrates or anything other than the ph, which is a little darker than a 6.

Tiny tank said:
Thanks! It's a 10 gallon. The tank has been running for over a year with no problems. I just used some ich clear liquid medicine which only said to treat until there are no more signs of ich. I don't know the nitrates or anything, I've never actually checked those.

I think that when you clean everything, changed the sand, and all the water, (I assumed that you changed or cleaned your filter) you also removed almost all the good bacteria (with no intention). What this means is that your tank started what we called a mini cycle.

The good bacteria in your tank process the fish waste (ammonia / poo) and converted into Nitrites and then converted into Nitrates.

Ammonia and Nitrites are highly toxic for fish. You should buy a test kit to measure your Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates levels ASAP. My assumption is that your tank is right now having high amounts of these toxins, because there is not enough bacteria to converts these into Nitrates.

My suggestion is to do a PWC in your tank, just like 50% of the water, and as soon as you have the readings posted here and we will go from there.

How often do you do pwcs & how big are they? Do you have a common pleco? My advice would be to invest in an API fw master test kit so you can monitor your water conditions for yourself. At the very least, take a sample of your water to your local lfs & have it tested- ask for the exact numbers (not its ok or high). I suspect something may be amiss with your water quality & this may be the reason for your fish deaths. The heavy gravel cleaning alone would have been enough to kill off bacteria & throw your tank into a cycle resulting in high ammonia and/or nitrite (which would have resulted in fish deaths). An API kit really is a must if you are keeping fish and especially if your having problems! :)

What's a pwcs? And I normally clean my rank like that with no problems. But I'm going to start just doing a 20% water change every week or so. I'm headed to Walmart today and I'll pick up a kit to test everything. Also I have a common pleco.

PWCs- Partial Water change.

Honestly, too... Your stocking isnt ideal for a ten gallon tank.

The dragon fish, if its a bichir, can reach 18 inches and is highly aggressive. The clown loach would have eventually reached a foot in length and needs to be in groups to feel comfortable... They should have a 75 gallon aquarium.

Common plecos get to be anywhere between 18 and 24 inches, depending on which species it is being referred to as a "common pleco". They need a 75 gallon or higher just to be able to turn around.

Tiger barbs can get really nippy and need to be in groups of at least 6 in order to combat aggression. They are generally not compatible with the other fish you mentioned for that reason.

I would definitely do a water change as soon as possible.

And +1 on the Api masterkit... Its a lifesaver.

My dragonfish has never showed any signs of aggression. And the loach and barbs are all gone now. I'm headed to Walmart in about an hour before I leave I'll do a 20% water change and I'll pick up a master kit. I'll let you know how they goes when I get back. I'm looking around for a new tank also, I'll probably just completely re stock that new tank if and when I get one. I want a 30 gal+ hexagonal.

They didn't have a master kit or anything. So I'm picking up an ammonia test and a 5 in 1 nitrate, nitrite, hardness, ph and alkalinity test.

Would those work? I haven't left the store yet so i can still put them back haha.

If the dragonfish is a goby (blueish body) they are wild caught in brackish water and should stay in brackish water. They also will outgrow a 10g, or a 30g.

As for the disease, google Lymphocystis. From what you're describing, that sounds like what it could be.

Not to be rude, but you're asking about a disease yet didn't research the fish you have?

DragonFish71 said:
If the dragonfish is a goby (blueish body) they are wild caught in brackish water and should stay in brackish water. They also will outgrow a 10g, or a 30g.

As for the disease, google Lymphocystis. From what you're describing, that sounds like what it could be.

Not to be rude, but you're asking about a disease yet didn't research the fish you have?

Ill look it up but it doesn't look like any more fish have it.

And I just kind of went on that "Ohh I like that fish" procedure.

My nitrate level is about a 20, safe. Nitrite is 0, safe. Hardness was 25, very soft. Alkalinity is hard to tell, it's borderline high but pretty good. And this test says the oh is way high but my other test says its low. My ammonia levels are safe as well.

Ammonia levels need to be less than .25ppm- detectable ammonia is not safe. I would monitor your fish carefully & watch for any new signs of disease. I would up your water changes to atleast 50% a week, twice a week would be better. Please dont hesitate to ask questions!

jlk said:
Ammonia levels need to be less than .25ppm- detectable ammonia is not safe. I would monitor your fish carefully & watch for any new signs of disease. I would up your water changes to atleast 50% a week, twice a week would be better. Please dont hesitate to ask questions!

My test strips said the there was no ammonia In the tank

Good to hear! Monitor everybody closely & let us know if you see any new symptoms & we will try to help! Stay on top of your water changes with temperature matched, conditioned water as well. If possible, perhaps you can start looking for an upgrade on your tank to properly house your fish in the near future. Craigslist has lots of good deals! You can also google local aquarium clubs in your area- many have swap meets & used equipment listings.

jlk said:
Good to hear! Monitor everybody closely & let us know if you see any new symptoms & we will try to help! Stay on top of your water changes with temperature matched, conditioned water as well. If possible, perhaps you can start looking for an upgrade on your tank to properly house your fish in the near future. Craigslist has lots of good deals! You can also google local aquarium clubs in your area- many have swap meets & used equipment listings.

Thanks! Im looking hard for a cheap hexagonal with stand. I wish tanks were cheaper. Especially now with all the bow front acrylic stuff that's way out of budget

Keep your eyes on craigslist- i have found free & super cheap tanks & equipment. Theres alot of DIY information on here as well (resealing tanks, making your own stands, lights, filters etc). You dont need expensive equipment etc to have a functional setup- it just needs to be practical & work. Obviously, from an aesthetic point, some things look great but not everyone has an unlimited budget (i know i dont!) so its all about ways to be practical & save some bucks. :)

jlk said:
Keep your eyes on craigslist- i have found free & super cheap tanks & equipment. Theres alot of DIY information on here as well (resealing tanks, making your own stands, lights, filters etc). You dont need expensive equipment etc to have a functional setup- it just needs to be practical & work. Obviously, from an aesthetic point, some things look great but not everyone has an unlimited budget (i know i dont!) so its all about ways to be practical & save some bucks. :)

I've been prowling craigslist but not seeing any tanks I like. I saw this creative home made tank. A guy attached two 20 longs together to make a right angle corner tank. Really neat but the caulking looks horrible. Id buy it if I had the room for it.

Back
Top Bottom