Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unknown disease help!

Ok, here's the story. Last weekend my buddies noticed that two of my fish had ich. So the next day I cleaned they tank really good, cleaned te plants and fravel in hot water and replaced all the water. I also got some medication and began treatment immediately. After the second day of treatment my clown loach, who had ich, died. As well as a tiger barb that seemed just fine. I looked over my fish and none others had ich so I stopped the treatment.

It has been a week and now I come home last night to find my other two barbs dead for no apparent reason. I've only had these guys for a couple weeks. I also noticed that my vein tailed Danio had pinkish bumps all over him. He is pink so they could just be skin color. I flushed this Danio and my barbs.

Now I have a dragon fish, a bloodfin, a pleco, three zebra danios and a small orange fish I don't really know the name of. They are all acting fine, though all of my barbs had no sign of anything and just died. Please help! Thank you.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi and welcome to AA!!! What sized tank is this? How long as it been setup? What are your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, & ph? What are you using to test (liquid or strips)? What type of meds to did you try using? Treating for a single day would not have been to sufficient to kill off ich (if this is what you are dealing with). Some more information will help us to help you better!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #3

Thanks! It's a 10 gallon. The tank has been running for over a year with no problems. I just used some ich clear liquid medicine which only said to treat until there are no more signs of ich. I don't know the nitrates or anything other than the ph, which is a little darker than a 6.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny tank
Thanks! It's a 10 gallon. The tank has been running for over a year with no problems. I just used some ich clear liquid medicine which only said to treat until there are no more signs of ich. I don't know the nitrates or anything, I've never actually checked those.
I think that when you clean everything, changed the sand, and all the water, (I assumed that you changed or cleaned your filter) you also removed almost all the good bacteria (with no intention). What this means is that your tank started what we called a mini cycle.

The good bacteria in your tank process the fish waste (ammonia / poo) and converted into Nitrites and then converted into Nitrates.

Ammonia and Nitrites are highly toxic for fish. You should buy a test kit to measure your Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates levels ASAP. My assumption is that your tank is right now having high amounts of these toxins, because there is not enough bacteria to converts these into Nitrates.

My suggestion is to do a PWC in your tank, just like 50% of the water, and as soon as you have the readings posted here and we will go from there.
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

How often do you do pwcs & how big are they? Do you have a common pleco? My advice would be to invest in an API fw master test kit so you can monitor your water conditions for yourself. At the very least, take a sample of your water to your local lfs & have it tested- ask for the exact numbers (not its ok or high). I suspect something may be amiss with your water quality & this may be the reason for your fish deaths. The heavy gravel cleaning alone would have been enough to kill off bacteria & throw your tank into a cycle resulting in high ammonia and/or nitrite (which would have resulted in fish deaths). An API kit really is a must if you are keeping fish and especially if your having problems!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #6

What's a pwcs? And I normally clean my rank like that with no problems. But I'm going to start just doing a 20% water change every week or so. I'm headed to Walmart today and I'll pick up a kit to test everything. Also I have a common pleco.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

PWCs- Partial Water change.

Honestly, too... Your stocking isnt ideal for a ten gallon tank.

The dragon fish, if its a bichir, can reach 18 inches and is highly aggressive. The clown loach would have eventually reached a foot in length and needs to be in groups to feel comfortable... They should have a 75 gallon aquarium.

Common plecos get to be anywhere between 18 and 24 inches, depending on which species it is being referred to as a "common pleco". They need a 75 gallon or higher just to be able to turn around.

Tiger barbs can get really nippy and need to be in groups of at least 6 in order to combat aggression. They are generally not compatible with the other fish you mentioned for that reason.

I would definitely do a water change as soon as possible.

And +1 on the Api masterkit... Its a lifesaver.

55 gallon, 46 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon
Talvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #8

My dragonfish has never showed any signs of aggression. And the loach and barbs are all gone now. I'm headed to Walmart in about an hour before I leave I'll do a 20% water change and I'll pick up a master kit. I'll let you know how they goes when I get back. I'm looking around for a new tank also, I'll probably just completely re stock that new tank if and when I get one. I want a 30 gal+ hexagonal.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #9

They didn't have a master kit or anything. So I'm picking up an ammonia test and a 5 in 1 nitrate, nitrite, hardness, ph and alkalinity test.

Would those work? I haven't left the store yet so i can still put them back haha.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

If the dragonfish is a goby (blueish body) they are wild caught in brackish water and should stay in brackish water. They also will outgrow a 10g, or a 30g.

As for the disease, google Lymphocystis. From what you're describing, that sounds like what it could be.

Not to be rude, but you're asking about a disease yet didn't research the fish you have?

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com