Unknown Killer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zerobahamut03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So last night when I get home from my friends house I noticed that one of my fishes wasn't being as active as it usually was. I took a closer look and saw that on the tip of the fin there was a white substance that was sorta dangling. At first I thought that it might have just been poop or something that got caught on his fin. Then it hit me that it might be fin rot. Seeing as I never have come across it I wasn't too sure. Not taking a chance I was going to go straight tomorrow morning to get some medicine. When I awoke the next morning I checked the fish again. This time the white substance had covered the entire fin and the bottom 1/3 of his body. I went to the store to get the medicine ASAP I followed the instructions and poured some in. Before leaving to work around 4pm the body was almost completely covered in the film and he wasn't moving anymore. Still breathing but nothing more. When I got home from work I found it completely white and dead in my tank. I was just wondering what it could of been. If it was fin rot I didn't know that it spread that quickly. From a white film on the upper fin to completely killing it in less than 24 hours. FYI the fish was doing well the day before and it started sometime yesterday. I took him out of the tank as to not harm the other fish. I will continue the treatment of the Pimafix for fungus disease. If anyone can tell me what the killer is so I can take further steps if needed. I don't want to lose anymore fishes. As far as the water quality, everything is established and has been crystal clear 0/0/5-10ppm. All the fishes have been well and all of the sudden this just came up. There are also about 3-4 green sailfin molly fry that are in the tank atm. Don't want to lose them! I got them a little hide-a-way so they can take cover and feed.

You might want to try something stronger than Pimafix and Melafix, something that treats fungus though. You might also want to look up columnaris, and see if those symptoms match.

Back
Top Bottom