Unknown Sickness(?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinkie Pie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my tank for a while now and I recently added 3 Balloon Mollies (1 male and 2 females) because my friend was moving out of town. 2/3 seem perfect but one female has some unusual stuff on her. She looks like she's covered in clay? Its just her head and a speck on both eyes. It doesn't look like any fungus I've seen, it literally looks like wet flour or clay fell on her head. The rest of her body is gorgeous.

Her behavior seems normal. Swimming around...digging in the gravel for some more food...whatever fish do.

Can anyone tell me if she's dying, or sick, or just fine? The "clay" looks gross and its ruining her complexion (LOL). If I can help her out with that, she would be really pretty.

My tank levels are near perfect. Last test was yesterday.

How big is the tank. How many fish/what kind ? Any besides the balloon Mollies ?

29 Gallons, 8 fish altogether (3 balloon, 2 honey gouramis, 3 black tetras).

All fish prior to balloon mollies were in perfect health. The female is the only one with this condition.

59203-albums8985-picture34664.jpg

My molly in question, "Big Mama"

I don't mean to triple post but I am honestly worried about her. Does anyone know what it is from looking in the picture?

I am thinking a bacterial infection.... I am doing a little research for you now.

I found this on a different website, what the person described was very much what you have described.

" Treat with rid-ich. If it clears up in three days then it was a protozoa infection. If there is no improvement then I would treat with Furanace for bacterial infections. Follow the directions on the bottle/package. Watch for ammonia spikes because these medications may affect the bacteria that break down fish wastes"

This is the third Molly in a month I've seen like this. Ocminpin and another member both have mollies with whitish markings on the head. There's turned out to be just the coloring of the fish. You can try a salt dip to see if there is an improvement. If shes acting fine, eating and not flashing or anything I wouldn't be too worried.

BOO :) my female Creamsicle Lyretail Molly has this... Started out very faint 6 mths ago and has spread slowly in space and thickness... It's moved onto her head now and looks like she's been roughed up with some serious grade sandpaper! She eats and behaves normally, doesn't flash or rub it... She's had 4 batches of fry in 6 mths. I'm stumped, but I know other creamsicles DON'T look like this...
It hasn't ever spread to any of the other fish and none of her babies were ever born this way.

View attachment 82371

View attachment 82372

Thank you so much everyone.

I'm thinking I'll wait a few days and continue to monitor her behaviour.

I might try the salt dip, if anyone could explain to me what that is? Just to be on the safe side.

I don't remember the exact amount of salt you are supposed to put in off the top of my head...... but I am sure someone can fill that in.

Basically I took my 1 gallon tank, put the appropriate amound of salt (a more concentrated amount), and placed my fish in for a certain amount of time, and then back into the normal tank.

Back
Top Bottom