Unsure if Sick: Baby Betta Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisKhan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello friends,

I have a question and I really need assistance diagnosing/treating this.

I have a baby betta fish who is about 3 1/2 months old that is living in a small 3-gallon tank on my work desk. He looks like he has a thin film of super tiny spots on parts of his head, body, and fins. I'm looking at him and it looks like it got worse recently and the spots are more prominent now. I'm thinking it looks like ICH but not entirely sure. If this is ICH how should i best treat? I added about 3 teaspoons of aquarium salt yesterday but noticed this getting worse.

I have videos and photos of the fish here: https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0NNlR0OHC8h73RTAO0J6kNjIQ

Here are the sticky thread questions:
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

-Betta fish, 3 1/2 months old, looks to have micro white spots on parts of head, fins and body. looks like it is progressing/getting worse.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia:0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 30ppm
Temp: 75.5/76 F
PH: 7.8/8

Did an API master test kit water test yesterday and changed 50% of water.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

3 gallon tetra cube tank, been set up since december 28th, 2018.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Stock filter, has an air pump going through the bottom to pull water and air up through the filter pads. uses tetra whisper 3i filter pads, about 20-35 gph.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? '

1 fish, betta fish, about an inch and a half long.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

50% water change every week.
gravel vac every time.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

3 months, at the time i acclimated to temp, then slowly added tank water to their water over an hour.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Added in shrimp and snails about 2 months ago but after a week it was very obvious he was stressed out and didnt like them. I removed them and took them home.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Always fed Aqueon Betta Food.

Temp is on the lower side of preferable. 80F is a good temp on a regular basis. Ich treatment is different though - much higher.

Also maybe at night it is getting colder in the tank or the could be a cold draft or A/C vent blowing on the tank (maybe check around)

Although many people don't use a heater it is good for the fish to have a better environment particularly if a problem appears. In this case Ich. A symptom of stress from water temp maybe and / or parameters being a bit off and maybe the stress of the tank mates, although that seems like a while ago.

It sounds like Ich

If selecting heat treatment, higher heat will need additional aeration. The article goes into splendid detail.
Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom