Unwell oranda (I think)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cockney365

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

First of all, sorry if I don't have all the info you need or I say some silly stuff, I am no fish expert and I don't have all the technical equipment I probably need, but I will do my best!

I have a Fluval Roma 90 tank, which I bought from my friend in Jan/Feb 2011. I inherited 3 fish from my old housemates, who used to live in a tiny starter tank (the fish lived in it; not the housemates). They had the fish for at least 15 months before I adopted them, but since they won them from a funfair there is no telling how old they actually are. They are now at least 2 years old.

One is a goldfish (Rod), one, Jane, is a white goldfish (if you catch my drift) and Freddie is an oranda (I think). It doesn't have a particularly lumpy red cap, it is small and doesn't stick up so much, but based on my limited knowledge/Google images, I think it's an oranda. All three fish have happily existed alongside each other, even in the tiny tank, until the last 2 or 3 months, when Freddie started getting a little lethargic. He just sits at the bottom of the tank, swimming up only to feed, and then goes down to the bottom again. It's difficult to describe, but his tail fins are a bit, well, non descript, don't have the same pizazz they used to have. His eyes look a little like they have glazed over, almost as if some extra skin/scales are covering them, they aren't as clear as the other fish eyes, but then I don't know exactly what they looked like beforehand.

Having done some research I think he is now also 'pineconing', whilst the other fish are absolutely fine. So fine, in fact, that I now have 4 baby goldfish swimming around the tank. I don't have a water testing kit, I don't have a gravel hoover but when I change the water (have been doing 25-30% every week), I use a squeezy water bottle to make my own vacuum to suck up the poo and stuff from the bottom of the tank. The filter is a Fluval U1 and I changed the things inside them in April. I bought new anti algae teabags to put in them but they have stopped working now. They get fed once a day with general fish flake food, are kept out of direct sunlight and keep eating the plants I put in in April.

I am stumped. What do I do about my fish? I don't have a spare one to hospitalise it and stuff, and I am pretty confused. Sorry if this is all a bit general, if you want anymore information please ask, I'll do my best to give it to you. I dont know how much longer Freddie will last though, it doesn't look good at the moment and if he is dying, how do I er... help him? I don't want him to suffer but I don't fancy flushing him down the toilet

Welcome Aboard!

Sounds like the 3 goldies are catching up to the cramped conditions of your 20g tank and limited filtration. Goldfish are really dirty (ie pooping machines) and the general rule is 20g for the first goldie and 10g each for the additional fish. Also in the cramped conditions and limited filtration, the ammonia from them is most likely the cause for the lethargic behavior.

Here's what I'd suggest you consider. Get a bigger tank (55g would be ideal) and more filtration (double for the tank size), get a test kit (ie API FW Master test kit) so you can test the water and in the interim doing a 50% PWC (partial water change) every 3 days to help keep the water quality up until you can remedy your current situation.

There's lots of help here, so feel free to ask any questions you need answers to.

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your reply. Secondly, I don't understand gallons! How many litres is that? Thirdly I don't understand how they managed in a much smaller tank (and I mean the sort you could fit in your fridge) for a good year without any sort of problems, but they are now suffering in a tank which is at least 6 times as big, if not more, with more frequent water changes and a much better filter. I'm so confused! As I also said, the goldfish are fine and have had 4 little baby goldies, probably less than a centimetre in length at most, and they all seem to be doing alright. It's just Freddie the oranda who is suffering.

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your reply. Secondly, I don't understand gallons! How many litres is that? Thirdly I don't understand how they managed in a much smaller tank (and I mean the sort you could fit in your fridge) for a good year without any sort of problems, but they are now suffering in a tank which is at least 6 times as big, if not more, with more frequent water changes and a much better filter. I'm so confused! As I also said, the goldfish are fine and have had 4 little baby goldies, probably less than a centimetre in length at most, and they all seem to be doing alright. It's just Freddie the oranda who is suffering.

Well 90L is almost 24g so figure you'd want to look at 151L (minimum IMO) to cover the 40g and if you're gonna keep the fry, you'll want to add for them too. Or use the 90L for the fry and put the adults in the bigger tank. Hey MTS (multiple tank syndrome) already :D.

Goldies keep growing throughout their lifetime and as you improved their home they grew better (stunting was probably an issue in their old home). Testing is going to be an important step in knowing what the water quality is like for them. It could be that the Oranda is weaker than the others and showing signs faster, weaker fish also get picked on more by stronger tank-mates that want the space they're taking up, so keep an eye out for bullying.

Do you see any outward signs of disease/distress in Freddie? If so note that and keep us updated incase there are other issues at play

Here's a good link on goldies and there's a section on different types of goldies like Freddie: Aquarium Tropical Fish, Freshwater Fish for the Aquarium, Fish Information and Fish Pictures

Back
Top Bottom