Upgraded tank, uncycled and now ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OpiePride

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently upgraded out tank from 29 galllon to a 55. I had one Marineland 200 and added another if the same filter. I have 2 - Yellow Labs, 1 - Rusty, 1 - Electric Blue Johanni, an lbino and a blue mbuna, all these are approx 4 inches, the rusty spawned with the labs, now they are carrying in their mouths. Lets see there is a pleco, 4 inch, synodontis, these I have had some time. We added a few african juveniles in new tank.
I though the new had or would cycle quickly, before I added new fish, I was wrong and now I also have ich.
This is where I am at
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - 2.0 +
Nitrate - 20 +
PH - 7.6
I used Nite Out a cople times and have been using Prime with water changes.
When I do my water changes to lower levels I seem to have a hard time matching temp in tank, I think I have it but when change is complete I see temp changes on thermometer, even though I was testing temp of water a s I added it. This I believe has added to the ich problem, only the small fish show much ich spots.
Next I have been using Cure Quick, as suggested by LPS. It is like trying to address one problem makes the othe worse.

OpiePride said:
I recently upgraded out tank from 29 galllon to a 55. I had one Marineland 200 and added another if the same filter. I have 2 - Yellow Labs, 1 - Rusty, 1 - Electric Blue Johanni, an lbino and a blue mbuna, all these are approx 4 inches, the rusty spawned with the labs, now they are carrying in their mouths. Lets see there is a pleco, 4 inch, synodontis, these I have had some time. We added a few african juveniles in new tank.
I though the new had or would cycle quickly, before I added new fish, I was wrong and now I also have ich.
This is where I am at
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - 2.0 +
Nitrate - 20 +
PH - 7.6
I used Nite Out a cople times and have been using Prime with water changes.
When I do my water changes to lower levels I seem to have a hard time matching temp in tank, I think I have it but when change is complete I see temp changes on thermometer, even though I was testing temp of water a s I added it. This I believe has added to the ich problem, only the small fish show much ich spots.
Next I have been using Cure Quick, as suggested by LPS. It is like trying to address one problem makes the othe worse.

Ok for ich, gradually raise your temps to 87, this can take a few days because slow is key. Lots of gravel Vacs, by lots I mean daily.
Don't medicate just yet! I'm not sure what nite out is, but it sounds like a nitrite remover. If it is, Don't use it or your second set of bacteria can be starved, stalling your cycle. Best thing is lots of water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite below . 25

Salt can help you through this. I'm not positive on the dose, so I will let a more experienced member chime in. Salt will help with both nitrite poisoning and ick.

While your temps are up, increase aeration. Either add an air stone, or drop water levels.
I've never lost a fish to ick or to the nitrogen cycle. Water changes are your best friend! Good luck!

Edit- leave temps up until a week after the last spot disappears. You'll be fine!

Forgot to mention I have hogwarts and some anarchis I let float for 2 small Leopard Ctenopoma, and they are the ones covered with ich

Back
Top Bottom