Upside down fiddler crab but still moving and twitching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fra4lcj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys I have a male fiddler crab and woke up today to see it upside down in the tank, at first i thought it was dead but it twitches every few mins. Ive read up about crabs molting but this has been upside down for 3 hours now and just wanted some advice.

Thanks

I believe when crabs are preparing to molt they may become less active but being upside down does not sound like a healthy sign. While molting they actually "step out" or pull themselves out of the old shell and are quite vulnerable at this point.
I would keep an eye on it and report back with updates.
Oh, and welcome to AA!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ive just flipped it over, and it keeps twitching every few seconds, its definitely not dead but i think it may be dying

I believe when crabs are preparing to molt they may become less active but being upside down does not sound like a healthy sign. While molting they actually "step out" or pull themselves out of the old shell and are quite vulnerable at this point.
I would keep an eye on it and report back with updates.
Oh, and welcome to AA!

Thanks, is there any way to tell if its molting or slowly dying? Its been still and twitching for 5 hours now and has really not been as active as it used to over the last couple of days

IMO it sounds like it is slowly dying. I would continue to check on it from time to time.

Do you have a land section for the crabs? Is your tank brackish? These are both required for fiddler crabs. It does sound like it's dying. If they have. The point of a land area is for the crabs o be able to breathe air. Doesn't sound like a molting crab, and I've never heard of them twitching like this. My crayfish did this a while ago before he died. It's hard to tell with invertebrates is something is wrong unless you can see the parasite or infection.

Back
Top Bottom