Urgent Advice Need - Birthing Guppy with Poss Camallanus Worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lozzamogz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

I am really worried about my female guppy who is currently giving birth to fry. I only bought her 5 days ago and she seems very healthy.

Due to her birthing, I have been watching closely and I noticed red spikey things coming from her anus area (please see picture). Being a fairly new keeper of tropicals, I googled this and what I found was pretty terrifying. I think she may have Camallanus Worms.

The reason I am posting on here is that I am wondering (and very much hoping) that this could be normal for a female currently in labour (due to dilation etc) and not the dreaded worms.

Also, if the worst comes to worse and I was sold a poorly fish, what do I do? I read somewhere that I should euthanase all my fish... I want to cry just thinking about it! :(

Also, my backup heater recently broke so I can't even isolate her in a separate tank! I feel so awful about all this!

Any advice would be great! I just hope my little guys will be okay. :'(

Sorry for the bad quality of the photo. It's the spikes near her bum that I'm worried about.

Laura x

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 200
Go to your LFS and get something to treat that with were the baby's alive when they came out

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Go to your LFS and get something to treat that with were the baby's alive when they came out

I only saw one fry pop out. It was alive but went straight into the mouth of a Tetra. I haven't separated her as I don't have the space in my tank for lots of more guppies atm. I am leaving it to chance (might get one or two). Is that a good sign?

Treat it so the rest of the fish don't get it and you can get a breeder that hangs off the side of the tank so you don't need another heater

Keep us up to date on her symptoms for sure, even if she passes. I thought my fish had worms at one point, but it turned out to be Heximita, hole in the head parasite. Theres only a few parasites that are deadly, and Heximita ranks up there with Tetrahyema and ick, and the first two are often mis diaganosed and wipe out lots of fish with huge loss.

Sorry to hear about your fish! :(

Finding it really hard to find the correct treatment. I can't find Levamisole anywhere but have just managed to source some Flubendazole. I don't know much about this sort of thing but, from what I've read, it might do the trick.

Other than the worms sticking out, she is showing no other symptoms. She looks great, is eating lots and is being very energetic. Just hope i manage to help her in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awsome score. De-wormers are hard to find even in the states. Even then it could be another gut parasite, lets hope its just the worms and not something worse in there!
I had a female like this pass after giving birth to 25ish fry, the stress of childbirth is huge on female guppies, if theres any disease, They can get it because of the stress.

Back
Top Bottom