Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Urgent:angelfish problem

I have a couple of angelfish in my tank. This morning, I saw one was lying on the bottom of the tank on its side. So I tried to scoop it up with a fish net but it swam away. It was moving very slowly and its mouth seemed like it was constantly opening and closing. It also seems like he's struggling to even stay up. He keeps falling g to its side and it's like it can't get up. My other angelfish are perfectly fine though. Please if anyone knows what's going on, I would like to know.

UPDATE:Now hes just sitting at the back of the tank doing nothing. I don't know what else to do. I used a brand new turkey baster to squirt food in his direction but he barely ate that either. He only ate the ones that drifted into his mouth. Please help.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you certain the water chemistry is normal? Did you notice any parasites, Ick / Velvet on the Angel? Parasites often attack the gills first before any outward symptoms are noticed. Good idea to remove the fish, if possible, to a QT tank.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

The water chemistry is all good(I just did a water change yesterday) , and I have seen nothing on the angelfish. Only symptoms I see are slow movement and Opening and closing mouth. He also seems to be moving a lot more than he did earlier. His mouth is still opening and closing but not as fast.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Might be an intestinal bacteria infection. In that case not much you can do. Maybe the Angel was overly stressed by another fish. Ive had weaker cichlids actually turn black and hide when pestered by dominant fish.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do have another angelfish that seems to be the strongest and largest of the group. This particular angelfish that was sick was also the smallest of the group coincidentally
Old 03-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is he a new fish to the tank? How long have you had it?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

They aren't really that new. The angelfish group was added to the tank about a month ago. Before that there were only platies and Danios in the tank. It's a 40g btw
Old 03-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd try adding a air stone. What's your temp? How big of a water change did you do? Treated? Some angels are different than your average angel fish that are so called "hardy. Some are a little more needy on ph, temp, and so on. What kind is your angel? Or Color? I'd also check your ph. And nitrate level. If there was any big change in that after the water change you did. Could be stressed or starting to get sick. Keep an eye on him. Maybe add some stress coat.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have an airstone in there. The temp is 80 degrees. I did a 20 percent water change. My angel is about the size of a quarter. It is silver and black striped. The water chemistry is perfect. He's actually a little better now but as I observe him more, he seems to be tilting to his side which is causing him trouble with swimming.
Update:he swims a little more than he used to now but he still gets tired easily and goes back to laying down at the bottom of the tank. Any ideas on how to treat this?
Old 03-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update: I feel my fish is on the edge of dying. He is just lying down on the plants now. The only movement he makes is the constant opening and closing and "gasping" of his mouth. Please I'm desperate. What do I do???

Tags
angel, angelfish, fish, problem, tan, tang, urgent

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com