Urgent dying Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyxius333

Aquarium Advice Newbie
URGENT HELP SAVE GOLDFISH LIFE
SON HAS SPD AND IS VERY UPSET, WILL NOT DEAL WITH THIS WELL IF FISH DIES :-(

1~Goldfish - picture attached - floating all over/uncontrollably swimming/ floating. He *had* an Ornate top and back fin but the top looks ripped off???!!! And the back tailfin looks like part of it has come off?! Also Has a little red (blood?!) on the upper section of back tailfin. Front right fin also looks like it's not moving well (bloody?) .
2) I think they may be getting caught in this part of the filter, (picture attached), he stopped next to it a minute ago and I went to touch him and he definitely seemed like he was caught…. If so, how do I protect?

3) a little over a month ago: death of other gold, with panda cat showing signs of too much ammonia. Testing confirmed high ammonia and water treated. Panda went missing shortly after improved symptoms (there was a small gap between the lid and tank and we think he may have jumped out, possibly eaten by the dog afterwards).

4~35 gallon tank. Established for 5 years+ Using expert testing kit. Ammonia is constant struggle since adding the goldfish (won at carnival)

5) filter aquaclear 70 water changes every few days last month to maintain down to once a week now.

6) nothing new added or different, except for occasional frozen food fresh fish treat which was recommended to reduce stress as is better quality than the dry flakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isloated

I just pulled him out into the 'hospital' tank.
Still breathing and now staying very still, barely swimming and taking breaks to rest. :fish1:but not bubbling all over either. Concerned about him getting enough oxygen in here
Don't want to leave him in here too long

Picture of filter part

Sorry here is also a picture of the filter I think where he got hurt. Husband and I are trying to figure out how/why he would be getting stuck in here now. Thinking maybe he only got stuck because he's not swimming while at the moment because we've had the same filter this whole time so there's no reason for him to suddenly develop a problem with it. We did add a bubbler pot about a month ago but the bubbler is nestled inside the same piece of decor that's been in there for five years, ( A little volcano).

The only other fish and there is another goldfish which seems fine and a panda catfish both are about 3 inches, and an Asian play Pleico Who is full-grown at about six inches long.

Last edited:
Video of swim

Here is a short video so you can see him swim- he was not looking well in the isolation tank I really did not want to leave him there. So we decided to move him back where we know he's getting oxygen

None of your pics worked also is easier to post a video if you upload it to you tube and post the link in this thread.

The only time a fish will get sucked to the filter is if they are weak to begin with. Within exception to really small fish then you put a piece of sponge over the inlet.

Died

Not long after this post he got himself stuck again twice more. The first time in the filter again and he seemed not much worse, the 2nd time in some soft leaves (fake) that were in there with him forever and I still don't understand how it happened- but we got him out and it ripped off his flesh to the spine and he definitely seemed like he was in a lot of pain.
My son made the mature decision not to let him suffer any longer and we pulled him out to let him meet his end in his arms.

Some don't understand, but for this little boy who won't eat fish and wants to be a marine biologist when he grows up and who also struggles with special needs there were a lot of tears and prayers and he is still mourning the loss.

Thanks to anyone who tried to help.

It's to bad you pictures didn't work. You said you were using an expert test kit. What brand is it and is it liquid?

Just for future reference if I may... Goldfish shouldn't be kept in a small aquarium unless they are fancies then you can do a few in a 55 gallon, if not something that would really help him is a scaped tank but with that you have to do a lot of research, it takes a lot of patience, and can be very expensive but in the end the wait is well worth it, if you don't want to go that route you could just do a basic community tank.

I would recommend you get an api master liquid test kit and the most crucial part of a tank a good filter. Like an aqua clear hob for a 35 g, I would get a one for a 50 gallon as its not nessessarily always better to go over but they are adjustable if the current is to strong for the fish. But in my personal option as I run a lot of filtration more is better for my set up

I always thought the goldfish needed 20 gallons for the first one and 10 for each one after that. There was a person on here that was super smart with goldfish back in the day not sure if she is still here. I will check to see if I have her still. It's been a while since I've been on here so I'm not sure of the member that are here still. She would have been perfect for you to ask and for any other goldfish questions.

Ps if the filter ever feels like it has to much flow you could put a strip of poly on the outlet to slow the water coming back in but it will decsrease the oxygenation of your water.

No only fancies, commons/comets grow to be 10+ ", they cannot do that in a small tank so they stunt and die, common goldfish and comets are cold water and usually go in a pond

Fancies on the other hand it is 20 for the first 10 for each after.

Goldfish are extremely dirty and put off lots of ammonia

Theres no way a tank setup for 3.5 years should have ammonia.
Your waaaay overfeeding or destroying your bacteria on the filter pad.

No only fancies, commons/comets grow to be 10+ ", they cannot do that in a small tank so they stunt and die, common goldfish and comets are cold water and usually go in a pond

Fancies on the other hand it is 20 for the first 10 for each after.

Goldfish are extremely dirty and put off lots of ammonia

I knew there was something to do with that rule

Back
Top Bottom