Urgent Female OB Sick Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edevingo

Aquarium Advice Regular
My OB was holding and I decided to place her in a spare tank because the male OB wouldn't stop chasing her, which in the past he hasn't. It's obvious something contaminated the tank that didn't die when I cleaned it before using. She's been showing signs of stress for at least a week. I've been doing 30% water changes everyday. To make matters worse last Thursday I lost power for almost 3 days. She survived but most of her fry didn't. I've dosed the tank with Prazi pro and last night I dosed with API Fungus Cure. Hence the green water.
I've been researching online to the point my head is spinning. She swimming and eating normally. Since she's been showing signs for so long, it's caused even more confusion because almost everything I read about fish disease,indicates she should have passed by now.
Knock on wood I've never had something hit my tank besides the obvious ICh this has me stumped and defeated as to what is going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. CameraZOOM-20180314140008321-picsay1.jpgCameraZOOM-20180314135945158-picsay.jpg

Ede
Slow down a bit. Good job getting her through the power outage. Regarding spare tank contamination; I've seen enough of your posts to beleive you're an experienced fish keeper and that you used safe appropriate measures to clean the tank.
Are you fearing that a bacteria survived the cleaning? The first signs of a bacterial infection
Include fish becoming lethargic, and stop eating. Apparently not the case with your OB.
You would see the common external parasites by now. She likely wouldn't be eating with internal parasites. Check her closely for Velvet / Oodinium.
IMO, get back to regular water maintenence and see how it goes.

Ede
Slow down a bit. Good job getting her through the power outage. Regarding spare tank contamination; I've seen enough of your posts to beleive you're an experienced fish keeper and that you used safe appropriate measures to clean the tank.
Are you fearing that a bacteria survived the cleaning? The first signs of a bacterial infection
Include fish becoming lethargic, and stop eating. Apparently not the case with your OB.
You would see the common external parasites by now. She likely wouldn't be eating with internal parasites. Check her closely for Velvet / Oodinium.
IMO, get back to regular water maintenence and see how it goes.
Thank you. Somehow I managed to keep everyone alive including 3 holding females in my 110g alive and the girls are still holding. Which at this point I wish they would spit them, for their sake. I've got some tough females. My nerves are shot though,between running air pumps from my car into the house to boiling water of my gas range to keep the temp at least above 60. I need a freaking vacation.
When it comes to sickness whether it my kids our animals I tend to freak out. [emoji23] I'm just stumped because like I said, everything I've read seems like they pass quickly. Only thing I can think of is that it's because of my almost daily W/C at this point.
I've told myself today to calm down and give it a few days. Do you think I should maybe skip the W/C tomorrow and see if anything changes?
I appreciate your reply and sorry for the late response, I have spent today telling myself to slow down as you said. Thank you

Wow, you certainly have suffered a lot of adversity. Glad things have settled down.
As long as the spare tank is cycled, probably no need to conduct daily WC's, unless the meds your using require daily WC's. Judging from the pics, your OB's coloration looked a little washed out. What other symptoms is she showing?

Wow, you certainly have suffered a lot of adversity. Glad things have settled down.
As long as the spare tank is cycled, probably no need to conduct daily WC's, unless the meds your using require daily WC's. Judging from the pics, your OB's coloration looked a little washed out. What other symptoms is she showing?
She's extremly washed out and sickly looking. I did notice this spot on her face. Again the water is green from Fungus Cure so it's not the clearest picture but does it look like some sort of fungus growth?
Makes you feel so helpless when you can't just ask them or better yet them tell you " hey I'm sick"CameraZOOM-20180314135952196-picsay.jpg

Much better pic angle. Fungus only grows on dead or damaged tissue. Does the abrasion look like a scratch? Maybe got injured fleeing from the male. That would be the best scenario. If no injury, the white growth might be Columnaris.
Definitely don't put her back into the 110 until cured. Columnaris can be a tank killer.
If it is Columnaris, doubtful if OB recovers. Once the symptoms are visible on the outside, the damage already has been done on the inside.

Much better pic angle. Fungus only grows on dead or damaged tissue. Does the abrasion look like a scratch? Maybe got injured fleeing from the male. That would be the best scenario. If no injury, the white growth might be Columnaris.
Definitely don't put her back into the 110 until cured. Columnaris can be a tank killer.
If it is Columnaris, doubtful if OB recovers. Once the symptoms are visible on the outside, the damage already has been done on the inside.
This is a picture of 2 of my peacocks. Lights off with high flash. Is this Velvet? 20180315_152142-picsay.jpg20180315_152207-picsay.jpg

The primary symptom of Velvet / Oodinium is a gold or yellow dusting of parasites which eventually cover the fish's body and infect the gills. It's far worse than Ick and kills very quickly. The fish become more and more lethargic but continue to eat.
I couldn't detect any velvet from your pics. I doubt your fish have it. They would likely be dead by now. Just in case Velvet ever occurs, "Copper Safe" knocks it down quick.

The primary symptom of Velvet / Oodinium is a gold or yellow dusting of parasites which eventually cover the fish's body and infect the gills. It's far worse than Ick and kills very quickly. The fish become more and more lethargic but continue to eat.
I couldn't detect any velvet from your pics. I doubt your fish have it. They would likely be dead by now. Just in case Velvet ever occurs, "Copper Safe" knocks it down quick.
Okay think I've officially lost my mind. [emoji854] I've always thought having a generator for your tanks was a bit extreme. Not anymore. Last night after contemplating what felt like life, I dosed my 110g because another female had gone pale, only darkening when feeding and one of my male peacocks had 2 white dots on him appear. Before doing so I cleaned my canister filters intake and outs cause duh I didn't after no power. I don't know how they where running because the stuff that came out of just the hoses was so bad I actually replaced them with new lines. Anyway went to bed and prayed that I wouldn't find anyone floating. Well they where all crazy hungry this morning and now with green water my Male Ahli is in full breeding mode, colors and all. Everyone else is swimming and active. Fingers crossed everything goes back to normal. I need a vaca from my tanks. Lol.
Thank you for replying and bearing with me.

Those heavily invested in the salt water side of the hobby have emergency generators. SW systems crash quick during power outages.

Back
Top Bottom