urgent help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldwaterfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi this is only ever effecting one fish at a time he was fully fine this morning no issues at all.

Please help

ForumRunner_20131115_204841.jpg

Thats a bad case of fin rot, treat with an anti bacterial medication and up your water changing routine. Or you can use aquarium salt depending on what you have in the tank.

Just drained and re filled the tank its all of a sudden like this.

I left at 9am and got in 8.30 and he was like this.

Got meds on the go now.

Between the meds and water changes he should recover nicely. Make sure you remove the carbon (if you have any) from your filter before you medicate.

I drained the tank 80% its a 300ltr.

I used meds but i got a 2000ltr hr external filter and forgot the carbon and need more meds. Will remove carbon tomorrow and re med the water.

I just dont get how this only effects one fish at a time.

My ex wife just stopped me access to the kids and this was a fish my boy picked.

Couldnt have happened at a worse time

Hi this is only ever effecting one fish at a time he was fully fine this morning no issues at all. Please help
I notice in that picture that a white string like thing is protruding from his anus. That's a tell tale sign for internal parasites generally. If it's in fact an internal parasite then you may want to start treatment on that as well. You'll need to get some second opinions on that but it looks like it to me. You may want to try posting this in the unhealthy fish section. All the previous comments however have been very good!

Hi its part of his fins. But i will treat him for it just incase this is my last link to my son i have

Really sorry to hear that, i would only treat one illness at a time as cross medicating can be deadly.

If i do 80% water changes before i put the meds in will this improve. Then 80% and re med every day. I got extra ceramics for the pump and extra bio balls as well

If i do 80% water changes before i put the meds in will this improve. Then 80% and re med every day. I got extra ceramics for the pump and extra bio balls as well

I would stick to 50% this stops the water chemistry and parameters in the tank vastly changing from the water change which can shock and kill fish. If that 80% went down ok i wouldnt worry this time but wouldnt do it regularly. It should definitely improve with fresh water and medication, gold fish are pretty hardy fish. Is he the only fish in the 300ltr tank?

Last edited:
No i have a few it only effects one fish at a time never more than 1. As i lost a few like this.

I am wondering if there is a parasidic organisum in the tank as every other fish is healthy.

ForumRunner_20131116_103209.jpg

From that picture its definitely fin rot. Whether theres another problem i dont know. Amy white stringy poop coming from any of them?

White stringy poop indicates an internal parasite. I've never had to treat for them so not sure if there is any one med that's better than the other, but you will need to medicate.

Well i removed all carbon and added extra ceramic and bio balls to the filter and did another 25% water change. I added 60ml of fin rot and anti fungus 10ml per 50 ltr but poor "vampire" died 10 min ago. Really gutted. Its def fin rot as i spotted in time another fish with it round his mouth.

Thank you for helping me try to save vampire. I will uodate the post with updates on the others. As i really need to solve this issue.

I am very sorry about Vampire :(

Do NOT mix this med with anything else. Internal parasites in goldfish are not very common (unlike other species of fish) but white waste is generally indicative of improper diet combined with stress. The white is actually intestinal cells and mucous being shed. However, there may a bacterial component to this due to your pictured fish's symptoms and some of the symptoms you mention in your fish.

I am guessing you are from European country? Your access to fish meds is very limited unless you have an aquatic vet that can help. The fish pictured had a very serious bacterial infection that needed to be addressed with pristine water and serious antibiotics. We do not know if it was the result of water quality issues, adding unquaratined fish or other factors. You did a large water change upon finding your fish unwell, so we do not know what the conditions were prior to the water change.

So, lets start with the present water parameters, any chemicals being used (ie, ph adjusters, salt, algae stuff, etc), normal water change schedule (%/#wk) and diet? Also, when was the last time you added a new fish that was not quarantined for a couple of weeks? Need to start with basics before we can figure out what is happening here.

Can you also post a pic of the fish you describe as having 'fin rot around the mouth'? This indicates very serious bacterial issues that need to be addressed promptly with antibiotics. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom