Urgent: Krib with red spot/face looks strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dxs2104

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, so originally I took this picture to ask about the red spot that is on the side of my krib; But looking at him closer while taking the pic it looks like the side of his face is distorted...possibly missing a chunk. I dont have a QT tank set up, I do have a 3g bucket I use for water changes though. He seems to be acting normal though; his belly occasionally turns turns red, he makes trips around the tank, guards his pot, eating normally (for now).

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Kribensis. Started looking like what was a red spot on his side, noticed his face is deformed. Was added to the tank almost 2 weeks ago.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia: 0 , Nitrites: 0 , Nitrates: <20 ppm , Temp: 80 F , pH: 7.6 , KH: 80 - 100 ppm , GH: ~100 GH

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

29g. Been set up and cycled for 3 months now.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Filtration: Penguin biowheel 200

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

13 fish total in the tank. 6 zebra danio, 6 Tiger barb (no more than 2 inches), 1 Kribensis (3 inches). The tiger barbs appear to have been breeding the past 3 or so days though, but in all the time watching my gf and I have not seen the tiger barbs so much as nip the Krib, however we are gone all day at work. The tiger barbs do come in close proximity to his home though.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

This past sunday. Did a 25% pwc, light gravel vacuuming. Has been done once a week since tank was cycled, 10-25% each time

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Kribensis is almost 2 weeks in the tank. Day before adding rearranged the tank and added a new clay pot. Acclimated over a period of about 1 hour, 30 min for sitting bag in the water; 30 min slowly adding tank water to bag water. Netted Krib and added to tank, dumped out LFS water.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Nothing new has been added to tank since Krib was added.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Been feeding fish a variety of food including: Omega One Flakes, Hikari carnivore sinking pellets, boiled veggies (peas, lettuce and on one day tomato), and Bloodworms.

Please let me know if something is wrong, Im pretty worried about him right now.

Update: So my krib had died over night, it seemed like he was blind at the end, swimming slow until his fin touched something then changing direction.

I am still very curious to what may have caused this, as of right now the only thing I can think of is the Tiger barbs attacked him but I have never seen them nip him.

I figure I will not be getting a new fish for a little while, get some more plants and let them grow and see how the tiger barbs and zebra danios do for now.

Sorry for your loss.

Don't know what other people think but I think you're right, most likely barbs have had him. Your husbandry seems in good order. I think small groups of barbs can be aggressive, the more you have the more any aggression is spread out. I guess if they're spawning then they'll be more aggressive too.

I got my first Krib the other day and they are very timid, mine's chosen the same cave as my red-tailed shark and so spends most of his time being chased around.

Back
Top Bottom