Urgent- my fish might die and i need help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allisonm24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve had these fish for 5 years. One is a Shubunkin Goldfish and the other is an Oranda goldfish. I made a mistake last week by adding 2 new goldfish. I took the new goldfish back to the store because they have given my fish ICH, and the symptoms of ammonia poisoning. After returning the fish that gave my fish the disease, I immediately brought a sample of my water to petsmart. To my surprise, my ammonia measured 0, but my nitrates and water hardness were super high. The petsmart lady was very knowledgeable about my concerns and gave me Water Conditioner by TOPFIN and STRESS COAT+ by API. I also purchased a brand new FLUVAL 70 GAL filter and took these home. My fish look as if blood is flowing through their fins and one of them definitely has tail rot. I did a 75% water change and added these products. Then, I noticed that The Oranda’s fin rot was getting worse so I went back to Petsmart and I bought fin and body care that contains Doxycycline. Now, it’s only been maybe 10 hours since the medicine was added but I’ve realized they both have ICH. Later, I will go buy The ERYTHROMYCIN medicine and add that after I do a 50% water change. I am very worried and I am willing to pay as much as I have to to make sure that they live. I just need a lot of peoples advice so I know what to do at this point I think that they might be close to dying but they’re still alive and maybe I can save them if I do all the proper steps. They’re in pretty rough condition and I feel horrible because they are so beautiful and it’s my fault that they are sick. I NEED ANYONE’s ADVICE PLEASE!!

IMG_5813.jpg

IMG_5811.jpg

IMG_5806.jpg

IMG_5800.jpg

634db1bde1f0687cbfbca4e3ca44c108.jpg

5f6f4ba05383afeacacdf8947fd31d24.jpg

Please I just need anyone to help me. I just really want them to live because I love them and I didn’t mean to do this to them.

If you have ich then using something with malachite green quickly is very important.

Lots of water changes using your conditioner and beating ich with the right treatment is where I would start

Looks like bacterial fin rot. Get Seachem Kanaplex for the fin rot and Seachem Metroplex for the ich. You can mix the two meds so dose both at the same time. Follow instructions on the boxes. You can run your fish through two full cycles if the first cycle doesn't do the trick. If you run two cycles give them a break for about 5 days. Meds are hard on the kidneys.

If the fin rot persists through Kanaplex then get API Furan 2.

Make sure you remove all carbon or purigen prior to dosing if you use these in your filtration system.

I'd also use Seachem Prime for your water conditioner. Leave all the other stuff you bought in the cabinet or give it away.

Looks like bacterial fin rot. Get Seachem Kanaplex for the fin rot and Seachem Metroplex for the ich. You can mix the two meds so dose both at the same time. Follow instructions on the boxes. You can run your fish through two full cycles if the first cycle doesn't do the trick. If you run two cycles give them a break for about 5 days. Meds are hard on the kidneys.

If the fin rot persists through Kanaplex then get API Furan 2.

Make sure you remove all carbon or purigen prior to dosing if you use these in your filtration system.

I'd also use Seachem Prime for your water conditioner. Leave all the other stuff you bought in the cabinet or give it away.

I will buy the Seachem Kanaplex and Metroplex and Seachem Prime. I’ve already done 2 doses of the Fin & Body Cure by API, and I had bought the Super ICH by API (but have only done 1 out of 2 doses). Do I just stop this medicine and just switch to the Seachem? Will it affect anything if I just drop the API medicine and start up with the Seachem meds?

Also, my water is now discolored from using the API medicines, so what should I do? It’s like a dark green-pond-colored look. Should I do another 75% water change?

Also they seem to be doing a little bit better, but only a little bit. They are swimming but are mostly sitting together at the bottom just looking around. The medicine keeps creating a gelitan-type bubble substance at the top that contains what looks like dry blood (because it’s red) so I’ve been removing that substance from the top of the water every time I see it form.

I think they might make it, but sadly it seems as if they’re suffering from many diseases all at one time and that might kill them but I’m trying really hard for them not to die.

Thank you for all your information, it’s very helpful to me!! If you have any other techniques or recommendations of what I should do, please let me know.

Just finish out what you've started. I won't knock API to much. My recommendation is what I've found to be very affective for bad cases.

When you're done with the full cycle of meds you started, do a 50% water change and run carbon for a few days to clear out the meds. Give them a few days off your current med treatment then start them on the Seachem products if you don't see any changes in health.

Back
Top Bottom