URGENT:Rope fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andylupp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I got a rope fish about a week and a half ago, but having done some research I found out they are social so we went back and bought another. The second rope got sick about 3 days after we got it, developing white/bleached patches that steadily grew from the rump. By the time it died these areas had spread to the mouth as well.

Now the second rope fish has gotten sick. Similarly it has developed a patch that is spreading but this time the mucus is receding exposing the scales underneath, that are hard and olive brown colored. It seems the rope (her name is Drako) is eating the mucus from her own body.

I have searched online but even though I see many with the same problem I have yet to see a diagnosis. I have seen theories from bacterial infection, fungal, water contamination etc, but invariably the fish die once they developed the symptoms. I am not listing my tank details because from my research this happens in perfect ropefish tanks, with ideal water conditions so I don't think the problem is the tank or water.

Thanks for any help
Andy

Last edited:
A picture would help. Do a water change & isolate the sick fish if possible. I'll look in my fish disease book.

Are any other fish affected? How is Drako's behavior? Does the affected area look cottony or like molten wax? Cottony is fish fungus (Saprolegnia, Acharya & others) or possibly finrot. Molten wax can be fish pox (a virus). This is what I've found in my book so far.
The book is titled: Fish Health by Dr Chris Andrew's, Adrian Exell & Dr Neville Carrington. It's an excellent resource BTW.
I'm still looking to see what else it might be.

From what I've read & your description it sounds like a fungus. They can progress rapidly. Treat with an anti-fungal. The mucus membrane on fish usually protects them, but if they have been fighting or were handled roughly the membrane gets damaged and allows the fungus to attack. The book also says a sudden temperature change, unhygienic conditions & poor water quality can predispose fish to fungal infection. This was probably at the place where you got them.

Hi guys thanks for the advice, unfortunately the rope fish didn't make it. I isolated it in a sick tank and put on a mucus treatment and upped the salt but she just got weaker and passed away. I did some reading on this, and it seems once this takes hold its over and you are just running down the clock. Luckily non of my other fish are affected.

Was extremely sad, had no idea I could love a fish quite like that.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. I love my pleco & would be brokenhearted to lose him, so I know what you mean about loving a fish. Maybe a different source will have a better result.

Bacteria first, then fungus. Fungus does not affect a fish, it has a slime coat and immune system. Always bacteria, the fungus only eats dead tissue.
You need an antibiotic, sounds like an infection caused by columnaris, aermonas, or pseudomonas
Gram - antibiotic such as
kanamycin
minocycline
oxytetracyline
Triple sulfa

Back
Top Bottom