Utter disaster! my neons have ich!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparkles12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I have a 5 gal tank with 5 neons. 3 of them have come down with the visible simptons of Ich.. I REALLy don't them want to die! I have the 'Quick Cure' brand for Ich, has anyone used that before? They all are healthy, they eat, swim, and occasionally chase each other across the tank. Anything I should be worried about? :( (P.S. I've added 2 and a little more drops of the med. because it says that I should put less for tetras, that right?)

My neons have ich as well.
I started treating them on Saturday. I can't tell you the name of the med I am using because I am not at home right now but it claims to be safe for them. So far they are ok but they don't seem happy.
I am new at this myself so I have no advice but I do wish you the best.

thanks.. I just hate it when fish suddenly get sick.. it worries me sick the entire week wondering if they'll make.. let's hope they do :)

Try to stay away from chemicals, most will have other side effects like killing off your biofilter. For ICH the best treatment I can suggest is heat. Take the tank temp up to 86 degrees and keep it their for two weeks. The ich will die, you have to keep it up for two weeks though even if the white spots go away. Sometimes aquarium salt (not marine salt) will help as well. I try to stay away from that too though. Hope this helps. Neons are very sensitive to water params and most chemicals.

Most OTC cure alls for ich contain Formalin and malachite green either combined to gether or separate. This chemicals are quite harsh, they do work and very well at that, but with sensitive fish like your Neons it can cause them gill damage and and untimely demise. QuICK cure is a Formalin and Malachite blend, it will stain your silicone tubing and the sealants on the gloss of your tank kind of a blue green color. Formalin in high dosages will also kill off your Benificial bacteria and may cause a mini cycle. Pet stores make quite a lot of money off of chemicals, so they will definately push those. IMO the chemicals do work and they will cure your problem, but they come at a cost both financialy and to your fish (sometimes). Again good old fashion heat will usually take care of the ICH issue in 2 weeks and your fish will be happier and healthier for it.

I have QuICK cure, it contains Malachite green. It has a reccomendation on the label, specificaly for the tetras. The Ick (wait, I'm confused, is it ick or ich??) seems to be reducing a bit. I still see some on the top dorsal fins and a few of their sides. Right now they eat, swim and frolic about, as if they have no idea of what is happening..

P.S., what does OTC stand for?

And thats good, very good. But keep treating for the ich (it is ich stand for (Ichthyophthirius multifilis)) for at least a few days. Heat speeds up the life cycle, the cysts you see on the fish cannot be killed. They must burst in order to be able to be killed, the free swimming stage is when the ICH is most suseptible to medication. OTC is over the counter...

Some people also call it ICK, some of the OTC meds refer to it as ICK such as the QuICK you are using.You will see both terms used.

Back
Top Bottom