Veiled Gold Marble Angelfish Not Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quackenbushman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought this fish a long time ago when she was the size of a quarter. Now she's as big as my hand. A few days ago I noticed she would take a mouthful of food and then spit it out. I though the food may be stale, but every other fish was still eating it. So i bought fresh food today. She hovers by the top of the water, almost like she's looking out, for long period of time. She used to swim right up to the glass at feeding time, now she swims away towards the back and bottom of the tank when i lift the lid.

Help! I don't want this fish to die. She's the prettiest in the tank.

fish.jpg

I moved her to a tank separate from all the other fish. Noticed some ich-like grains on a her body, and some strange dots on her fins, so began an ich treatment after trying to make the tank comfortable. A few plants, fresh gravel etc.

Tried a garlic-soak on the food to see if that would prompt her to eat. Hasn't seemed to work yet, but she looks a little better.

I read some things online about potential intestinal bacteria infections, but I have no idea how to treat them. I raised the temp of the water into the 80's so that she's be more comfortable.

Still worried, tho. She's been a lot more skittish since she stopped eating, used to swim right up to the front of the glass when you approached the tank, now she faces away, still hovers near the surface a lot.

I moved her to a tank separate from all the other fish. Noticed some ich-like grains on a her body, and some strange dots on her fins, so began an ich treatment after trying to make the tank comfortable. A few plants, fresh gravel etc.

Tried a garlic-soak on the food to see if that would prompt her to eat. Hasn't seemed to work yet, but she looks a little better.

I read some things online about potential intestinal bacteria infections, but I have no idea how to treat them. I raised the temp of the water into the 80's so that she's be more comfortable.

Still worried, tho. She's been a lot more skittish since she stopped eating, used to swim right up to the front of the glass when you approached the tank, now she faces away, still hovers near the surface a lot.

Good idea on the separate tank. So definitely ich you think? Like lots of fine, salt sized white dots? Any flashing?

Bacterial infections will speed up in higher temperatures. So while 86F or slightly higher will get rid of ich, I wouldn't do this if a bacterial infection is suspected (would lower temp back to 76F or so). What does poop look like? Normal or more stringy and white?

Had you introduced anything recently? Even plants? I've had ich come in from water with plants. Also any other angelfish that could of had an argument?

No, I wasn't sure about the ich. Noticed a few white dots, but also some strange round markings on her fins that were definitely NOT ich.

That said, the white dots are gone, she still isn't eating. The temp is right around 82.

Haven't seen any poop.

I suspect bacterial infection only because, from what I've read, that's one of the only reasons for angelfish NOT to eat. Also- that's the only angel fish in my tank. I introduced new plants a couple of weeks ago, and removed another that wasn't doing well. My geophagus is a bit energetic, but I don't think they ever quarreled. Also- no other fish atm are showing any sickness or off-behavior.

I'll check out on the desktop.

How is the water chemistry in the display tank as well? Ph, ammonia, nitrates?

When it started was it after a water change or anything?

I had the water tested- it was fine in all areas. I also change around 1/3 of it every 7-10 days

I can't see a large problem. The fin marks could be damage or viral (which will go on their own). Wasn't sure if there was a bit of scale damage I could see as well.

I'd try [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Metronidazole combined with [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Praziquantel. Ideally in medicated feed but if not eating may just have to dose hospital tank. Metro is good for internal bacterial infections plus some parasites while prazi is more a wormer and will take care of any problems there.

Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

[/FONT]

Thank you, Dela. I will def do this.

Do you think it's ok to put in the tank w/ the Ich medicine?

Thank you, Dela. I will def do this.

Do you think it's ok to put in the tank w/ the Ich medicine?

It should be ok if it was near or at the end of the life of the med in the tank (before you had to re-dose tank).
Otherwise water change to dilute.

A water change could be useful anyway just to freshen the water.

Back
Top Bottom