velvet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollie1979

Aquarium Advice Newbie
help. my tank has velvet. pretty bad...my fish have the extra slime coating, rust yellow brown patches,some are aggressive now..scratching themselves on bottom, clamped fin on goldfish.slow loss appetite in all. i have removed all plants, have the tank in complete darkness now and i am dosing with cupramine - buffered active copper at a slightly weaker dose than recommended. i had up until a few weeks ago a 450 aqua one which was in my lounge room...the water was always at a comfortable temp...almost slightly warm. my fish were very happy and growing quite big and colourful very quickly. i have mostly cichlids...about 7 (all different) my largest being about 16 cm. i also have a black shark, a couple of neons and a goldfish. my tank WAS lovely. my aqua one cracked from top to bottom one night (out of the blue) and in a frenzied panic my poor fish were moved and had to spend the night in the bath..which was a lot colder than my fish are used too. the very next day i bought a metre long second hand fishtank for $85 which i dont think had been used for a long time ( it was in the sun, completly dry with gravel still in bottom.) i bought it home, cleaned and set it up in the kitchen on my table next to the window ( it is the only place long enough for the tank at this moment) now two weeks later my fish have velvet and it was everywhere growing all over everything. i am trying to work out how they got this parasite...could it have been from an infected fish i bought a long time ago and the cold water change, distress from the bath bought this on? i know these things are dormant sometimes until a sudden change or could this parasite have possibly lived in this second hand tank for so long...while the old gravel and tank was dry? i feed my fish spirulina flakes but also frozen beef heart, shrimp and bloodworm..i have also heard this parasite can occasionally be found in bloodworms..not often but sometimes. i would really appreciate imput from anybody that has dealt with this horrible disease......

Back
Top Bottom