velvet AGAIN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsydancer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Several months ago I broke down my 55g and cleaned and medicated the tank. The only thing I didn't remove was the substrate. BIG MISTAKE. Now the velvet is back and I know it didn't come in on new fish because all that are in the tank are heathy babies I raised myself. This time I'm taking out the substrate. What do you think will work better, boiling water or microwaving the substrate? I don't want to go through this again. Namaste, Gypsy

Do you plan on completely dismantling the tank or just removing the substrate? I honestly would just toss it & start anew. If you kept the same filter media from the last round, it's possible stuff survived in it as well & it's still there now.

I plan on tearing down the whole tank. Nothing was the same except the substrate. New bio wheels, cartridges and I sterilized the filter. I've got about $120.00 in the substrate so I REALLY can't afford to toss it. Namaste, Gypsy

Ok, if your going to reuse the substrate, dont take any chances. Bleach it heavily then you may want to consider boiling it as well just to make sure theres nothing left alive. Make sure the entire tank is bleached & you run bleach through the filters as well as soak them. Good luck!!!!

Back
Top Bottom