very concerned about corys fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I posted a while ago that my corys fins are damaged looking, one of the front ones looks very short, almost gone, and now his tail is split. what do I do??? I know pictures help but the camera I have now is utterly crap. I will try and borrow another one if I can. He is acting ok and eating and everything but I am very concerned!

Have you checked your ammonia level lately. High ammonia will cause fins to dissappear like that. It dosent look like you have anything in your tank that could be nipping at them.

Found this on a site hope it helps

Many people also ask about torn fins. First, will they grow back? It depends on how damaged the veins or supporting structure of the fins are. If the support structures (like the veins of a leaf) are gone, the fin will not grow back fully. If they are intact, it may grow back completely. Either way, the fins will probably never look like they used to look. Even if the fin is totally gone, it may grow back partially, but will probably look abnormal. Fins are often ripped by other fish or injury or sometimes from an infection. So the second question is how do you treat torn fins? If the fins show no signs of fungus or bacteria, then try salt and MelaFix. If the fins have fungus, use a fungicide. If there is an infection, use antibiotics. Some antibiotics will kill good bacteria so be careful. Erythromycin such as found in Maracyn by Mardel does not harm the good bacteria. Salt treatment should be about a tablespoon per 2-5 gallons (I use a tablespoon per 5 gallons at all times). Use only pure sodium chloride like that sold for aquariums or ponds or marine salts. Do not use salt with iodine such as table salt. Salt will stave off infection and help prevent electrolyte loss to the water. Also, MelaFix by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals may be added which contains tea tree extract. It is safe for everything but will cause some foaming on the surface and smells a little bit. Tea tree is a natural antibiotic and antifungal. A little aloe added to the water may also help aid healing. Or, add something like Stress-Coat which contains aloe. It is also a dechlorinator. After a fin is injured, when it is properly healing, the edges often turn black. This is normal and means the wounds are healing as expected.

I would just avoid the salt but follow everything else said there. That was on a page for all fish in general it needs to be adjusted for the fish being treated. Just as any medicines used in tanks.

Back
Top Bottom