Very Sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkwolfsoul010

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, my name is Tatiana and I've been working in a family run pet store for a little over a year now. It's not like petco or petsmart, and everything is well taken care of, including the fish. This is why, a few weeks after I was hired, I knew that my store was the perfect place to get a betta fish. They all looked happy, and were well taken care of (unlike petco where they are all sick...)

I bought him (Tybalt) and had him in a small, 1 gallon tank with an african dwarf frog (who was 5 years old) for a few months before the froggy passed away :( Then I decided to upgrade his tank.

I bought a 6 gallon tank and cycled the water, put in a filter, heater, gravel, plants and a moss ball. I also bought 2 tetra's, a guppy and an oto cat. The betta was very happy in his new tank and everything was fine. Tybalt was very happy and often liked to play hide and seek between the plants or play in the current of the filter.

I change the water 30% every two weeks and get a water test every 3 weeks. Everything always looks perfect, not a problem in sight.

About 2-3 weeks ago I noticed my Tybalt rapped around the thermometer, at the very top of the tank. This is very unusual for my very active fish. Days went by and he didn't get better, in fact, he started to bloat!!

I did a 10% water change every other day for the rest of that week, and took pictures of him into my workplace to show the fish people my problem.

First we tried feeding him peas, maybe he was bloated because he couldn't pass his fluids? Nope, nothing. Then we tried to put him in a hospital tank (about a half gallon) and did 1/4th teaspoon of epson salt with a water change every day. Still nothing, in fact he was getting bigger! The scales on my poor baby's stomach turned white and stretched. Now he was having a real hard time coming up for air and swimming around.

Time went by and nothing was working. I bought some Betta Revive, hoping that would kill this fungal infection. (We think it's dropsy, but his scales aren't jutting out like in a normal dropsy case). 3 drops of betta revive for my half gallon and water changes every day still didn't help the little guy.

Yesterday there was a new development. The scales along his stomach ripped off. Where his stomach is, you see white flesh. He was still eating at the time. Today the white fungus (??) has started to flake off and pollute his tank. The manager of the fish room at my pet store gave me medicated fish eggs to feed him along with an antifungal food mix he feeds all the sick fish in the pet store. Tybalt wouldn't eat it.

I can't bring myself to euthanize him, and seeing him makes me cry.

Does anyone know what this could be, and is there any way he could get better from all of this?

I recommend next time you get a betta if you get another, to keep it in a tank of 6 gallons by itself. A bigger tank with tank mates is ok depending on the betta but 6g is small. Also you should get some Indian Almond Leaves. They put tannins in the water and have antibacterial properties that help keep bettas happy and healthy. I speak from experience as I have several bettas and have had Thai imports and also petco bettas. Also you should try doing larger partial water changes. I change the whole tank on my bettas that are in smaller tanks more than once a week. I also keep floating plants in the tanks.

I am sorry about your loss. Sounds like there was nothing you could have done. best wishes

I read if you use Indian Almond leave that you need to remove and replace on the 5th day b/c on the 6th day they make nitrites soar. I don't know if that is true. Just mentioning so if you use them, you know to replace them with new and to keep checking with test kit so you know when to replace them.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I replace my leaves before they decay. I actually replace them every few days with water changes. You don't need a whole leaf just a piece of one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom