Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Very sick betta - euthanise? I need advice please!!

Hi guys

So basically my tank went through an ammonia spike and this seems to have taken a massive effect on my betta.

He is not looking well at all even though I have managed to get the ammonia down. Black gills, heavy breathing, pine coning, not eating unless i use tweezers to put food near his mouth, popeye, struggling to swim to top. The pine coning says to me that his kidneys are failing, classic dropsy. Im not sure what else can cause pine coning? Fish TB? God, i hope not.

I put him in a little net thing near the surface so he can get air via labyrinth as i think his gills are burned from ammonia. I feel so sorry for the poor guy. I think I might have to sadly euthanize with clove oil.. I hate to see him struggle or be uncomfortable. I think the stress from the meds plus the ammonia has caused all this trouble (causing the dropsy/pineconing and other symptoms)

What do you think? Each day he just seems to be getting worse... Ive tried AQ salt and medication but this just seems to make it worse. He is about 2 years old also. Each day he has a new symptom, i see no improvement. Its been 7 days now.

Id hate to euthanise him hut i feel i need to stop his suffering. The poor thing is gasping for air. He looks really bad

People say its just a fish but he was so lively one upon a time, out of all my fish he was the one who has a personality of some type and the one i was most intrigued by. This is so hard!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would let him go without the pain. Clove oil works best, as mentioned. They're not just fish, they're living animals that we have decided to take care of and we need to provide for them. It sounds like you've done everything you can and that you seem truly committed to this fish, but sometimes we just need to let go. That's just my personal opinion. So sorry about the fish.

(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Rip mr betta
Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph101 View Post
Rip mr betta
Aww. It happens. Did you Euth?
Old 05-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
Aww. It happens. Did you Euth?
Sadly, yes, I had to
Old 05-23-2015, 01:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had to do it also. Sucks but I am sure you made the right decision.

Tags
advice, betta, ick, sick, sick betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com