Very sick goldfish- please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horsegirlmaddy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Two of my ten year old comets had been looking unwell for a little while, so I moved them to a 60 gallon hospital tank two days ago. One appeared much better with a bit of salt, but then mysteriously died overnight. The other one has been lying on the gravel with his fins clamped, only moving occasionally but with no other outward signs of illness- no excess mucous, no gasping, no abrasions etc. this morning, though, he seems to have taken a turn for the worse. He's lying on his side with his body bent, and if I try to get him to move, he swims in circles sporadically with his body still bent.
Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate is 10 or less. This is my baby, we've raised these four goldfish from the size of my pinky as "feeder comets", they've even spawned in our pond once, and they've been as healthy as health can be for ten years. All of a sudden this year, though, we lost one last summer to dropsy, then the one that died yesterday had a bit of fin rot a few months back. This guy is around 10" long and weighs around 2 pounds- he was the image of a happy healthy fish. I want to do anything I can to help him pull through, so any advice and insight at all would be very gratefully appreciated.

Attachments

• image-3717120912.jpg
    image-3717120912.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image-2210952771.jpg
    image-2210952771.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image-4108242833.jpg
    image-4108242833.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 77
Hi Maddy! I am very sorry about your fish. Great job with him being in a big hospital tank. Is he still eating? Unfortunately, your options for treating him beyond lots of healthy water are fairly limited. You can try adding a small amount of Epsom salts to his tank to see if this makes him more comfortable. You can try an antibiotic if you have access to them.

If an aquatic vet is option, I would seek further help and hopefully a more specific ID of what is affecting your pond fish. It's unusual to lose multiple healthy fish in a very short period of time in such a manner. Finding a more definitive answer will hopefully offer you options for addressing your pond to prevent this from occurring again.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, he didn't make it. Very very sad, but I'm now thinking that it was probably near their time to go. I know they can live 20 years or more, but I consider 10 years to be a good life, and at that age they probably just became more susceptible to normal infections, and weren't able to fight it off the same. The other two are 4 and 8 years old, and healthy as can be still, so hopefully they'll stay that way. Our family is so sad to lose our 3 oldest, but I suppose it happens, and now we have room for some little babies and the life cycle starts again :)

I am very sorry to hear this. :( I am positive they had wonderful lives in your care and I am sure your new babies will as well!

Thank you both. Luckily, we had a turtle dropped basically into our laps yesterday, so we're putting our hearts and minds into building him a fantastic home, and that's helped to keep our losses off our minds. Hopefully this turtle will live out his long life with us, just like the other goldies did :)

Thank you both. Luckily, we had a turtle dropped basically into our laps yesterday, so we're putting our hearts and minds into building him a fantastic home, and that's helped to keep our losses off our minds. Hopefully this turtle will live out his long life with us, just like the other goldies did :)

What a nice surprise!

Back
Top Bottom