Very sick guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madrhy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a guppy floating on her side with rapid gill/mouth movements. She had been hanging around the top of the tank most for a few days and wasn't very active but I thought she was perhaps just ready to drop fry (and I believe she has, I have new tiny fry in the tank and she looks way less boxy than yesterday). This morning I have found her like this [emoji17]. Water quality is fine (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 5ppm), the other fish are all fine (6 other adult guppies + fry). Any ideas about what could be happening? Is there anything I can do for her or is she too far gone? Image1490062613.057417.jpg

I have a guppy floating on her side with rapid gill/mouth movements. She had been hanging around the top of the tank most for a few days and wasn't very active but I thought she was perhaps just ready to drop fry (and I believe she has, I have new tiny fry in the tank and she looks way less boxy than yesterday). This morning I have found her like this [emoji17]. Water quality is fine (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 5ppm), the other fish are all fine (6 other adult guppies + fry). Any ideas about what could be happening? Is there anything I can do for her or is she too far gone? View attachment 296544

she's probably too far gone by now. the best you can do it isolate her and hope for the best

she's probably too far gone by now. the best you can do it isolate her and hope for the best

I took her out straight away, any idea what has happened to her? I'm hoping it's not going to kill the other fish... perhaps something to do with birth? she's still hanging in there, poor thing [emoji17]

I took her out straight away, any idea what has happened to her? I'm hoping it's not going to kill the other fish... perhaps something to do with birth? she's still hanging in there, poor thing [emoji17]

honestly she may have had some birth complications. if all of your other fish seem okay i wouldn't worry about it. just keep a close eye on them to see if they show any symptoms of being sick

Thanks for the replies crystalbettas, I've put her in a shallow tank, she delivered another 7 fry last night, only one survived so it has been moved to the main tank. She's trying to turn herself the right way up today but her tail is looking awful so I've tried a bit of aquarium salt in her tank, now I just wait and see I guess

This afternoon she's mostly upright and eating again! I'll keep her in the hospital tank for a few days to make sure but she's looking so much better

This afternoon she's mostly upright and eating again! I'll keep her in the hospital tank for a few days to make sure but she's looking so much better

wow, that's a great recovery! i'm really glad she's doing well.

So bizzare. I think she was weakened and stressed by the pregnancy then maybe has some fin rot? Her tail looks like someone took a bite out of the middle of it but she was alone when it happened. Whatever it is she looks otherwise perfect today! I thought she was a goner a couple of days ago

What are the parameters of the tank/ isolation water?

Sometimes poor quality doubled with stress will make a situation even worse.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle and is the tank cycled, how long has it been set up. Do you rinse your filter pads in tap water or change them frequently?

Yes very familiar with it, tank has been cycled and running for about 5 years, we barely touch the filter, but if it is rinsed it's in water just taken from the tank and never all at once. Parameters are good, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 5 (it's a planted tank). The isolation tank has fresh water (dechlorinated). Not sure what happened with her but she seems to be on the mend and I am seeing a few more live newborn fry in the tank too so she must have delivered some before her situation got worse. Yesterday she still had a slight lean when she sat still, today she's back to swimming normally! I'll give her a few days to rest and make sure there's nothing else going on before she goes back in with her tankmates though.

Great news! Hoping she builds up her strength and makes a full recovery. Perhaps stress from male Guppy, or pregnancy/birthing. That's hard work!

Back
Top Bottom