Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Very sick peppered Cory! Out of ideas...

My poor guy has been acting off for two weeks now. I'm still new to the fish hobby, and I've tried everything I've researched...

Sorry for how long this ended up...

I've had him about 6 months (the same amount of time the tank has been set up not counting the initial cycling) and he is about 2 years old, got him from a friend getting rid of her tank.

He was is a 25gal community tank (Fluvial 30 filter, 150gph, and an air bubbler). No other fish in the tank had problems. Water tested 7 pH, 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrites, and nitrates at 20. He lives with 8 blood fin tetras, 1 upsidedown catfish, 1 emerald cory and 1 balloon molly (all fish full grown adult sizes) and newest fish added was 2 months ago, the emerald.

In hind sight, his activity was less for couple days, but I moved him to the QT when I noticed him swimming awkwardly. Like his equilibrium was off. He then would occasionally swim quickly and erratically ("backflips" and darting back and forth, and up and down) until he would rest on the bottom, breathing heavily. (Note: he only breathed heavily after one of these episodes).

I initially thought swim bladder from reading. I had recently added freeze dried blood worms to the community tank's feeding (I did not pre-soak them, new lesson learned). In the QT I did the whole 3 day fast, followed by peas. No improvement. He has become very inactive, lays on the bottom, sometimes on his side. Will only move if "prodded" or to eat (he doesn't have a healthy appetite, but is eating some). Still has the erratic swimming when he does move.

I picked up Marineland All-in-one remedy. Since I have not observed white spots, or redness; scales and whiskers look healthy, this seemed a good try. Just finished the 5 day treatment as prescribed by the bottle and still no improvement. Nor has he become worse either.

I'm out of ideas and very concerned for the little guy. Any ideas at all???
Thanks in advance

Old 08-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What meds are in the remedy?

Old 08-25-2017, 12:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Blue jay, if your water is fine and none of the other tankmates are sick, then maybe your at least 2 y.o. Cory cat is simply aging out. That happens in my tanks every once in a while. It seems the smaller the fish the shorter the life span.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
What meds are in the remedy?
Hi Delapool! The bottle says "Active Ingredient:
1-Chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone" and that it is "Non-antibiotic, broad-spectrum tablets for freshwater aquarium fish. Treatment for external parasites, viral, fungal, & bacterial infections"
Old 08-25-2017, 12:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Blue jay, if your water is fine and none of the other tankmates are sick, then maybe your at least 2 y.o. Cory cat is simply aging out. That happens in my tanks every once in a while. It seems the smaller the fish the shorter the life span.
Hi V227. Thanks for the reply. I thought Corys could live up to 5yrs, but my friend who gave him to me was his second owner, so his age may not be accurate. This is my first tank so I've not seen what happens to aging fish. Is this normal behavior for them when they are aging out?
Old 08-25-2017, 01:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some Cories can live 15yrs. C paleatus are one of the longer lived variety. I don't think they live as long when kept singly. What is the temperature ?

If he passes, consider adding more emeralds.

What is his diet ?

Make sure meds are safe for scaleless fish. Most should only be used 1/2 strength.

Sounds like you gave him a good home.

Sorry he's sick. I love my Corydoras.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:11 AM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'd try metro next as an anti-biotic.
Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

Copied in a patent for light reading. Will see if I can find out more on treatment effectiveness for internal infections. I can see the use for white spot / external infections - not so convinced on internal ones.

Patent US8563587 - Methods and compositions for treating fish diseases - Google Patents
Old 08-25-2017, 02:43 AM   #8

Hi! Thank you for the reply. Temp is almost always 78. We have a swamp cooler, so sometimes the temp will go up to 80 in the tank when it's triple digits outside. That hasn't happened for about a month tho.

I feed flake to the community, and shrimp pellets to my catfish. Every three days I drop in veggie tabs. I recently started cycling in blood meal worms as a treat and some variety once a week or so. I buy Omega One for all their food.

I love these Corys too! They are both "adopted"." And I will definatly consider adding more. I will probably have to upgrade my pride and joy (6inch upside down catfish) to a bigger tank first so I don't overcrowd. I have found fish to be a quickly addictive hobby
Old 08-25-2017, 02:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I'd try metro next as an anti-biotic.
Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

Copied in a patent for light reading. Will see if I can find out more on treatment effectiveness for internal infections. I can see the use for white spot / external infections - not so convinced on internal ones.

Patent US8563587 - Methods and compositions for treating fish diseases - Google Patents
Wow thank you so much! Bedtime reading for sure! (I'm not being sarcastic at all). I will look into this
Old 08-25-2017, 03:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Jay View Post
Hi! Thank you for the reply. Temp is almost always 78. We have a swamp cooler, so sometimes the temp will go up to 80 in the tank when it's triple digits outside. That hasn't happened for about a month tho.

I feed flake to the community, and shrimp pellets to my catfish. Every three days I drop in veggie tabs. I recently started cycling in blood meal worms as a treat and some variety once a week or so. I buy Omega One for all their food.

I love these Corys too! They are both "adopted"." And I will definatly consider adding more. I will probably have to upgrade my pride and joy (6inch upside down catfish) to a bigger tank first so I don't overcrowd. I have found fish to be a quickly addictive hobby

Freeze Dried, Frozen or Live worms ?

Freeze Dried is an issue for many fish. Can cause blockages.

If you upgrade the Upside Down, remember they are a social species also.

Are you sure it's an Upside Down ? Most stay about 4".

Syno Species
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common...enus_id=29#414

I've seen people mix up Syno nigriventris
with Syno eupterus the Featherfin Squeaker.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common...species_id=121

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cory, disoriented, ideas, listless, pepper, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com