Very sick peppered Cory! Out of ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue_Jay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My poor guy has been acting off for two weeks now. I'm still new to the fish hobby, and I've tried everything I've researched...

Sorry for how long this ended up...

I've had him about 6 months (the same amount of time the tank has been set up not counting the initial cycling) and he is about 2 years old, got him from a friend getting rid of her tank.

He was is a 25gal community tank (Fluvial 30 filter, 150gph, and an air bubbler). No other fish in the tank had problems. Water tested 7 pH, 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrites, and nitrates at 20. He lives with 8 blood fin tetras, 1 upsidedown catfish, 1 emerald cory and 1 balloon molly (all fish full grown adult sizes) and newest fish added was 2 months ago, the emerald.

In hind sight, his activity was less for couple days, but I moved him to the QT when I noticed him swimming awkwardly. Like his equilibrium was off. He then would occasionally swim quickly and erratically ("backflips" and darting back and forth, and up and down) until he would rest on the bottom, breathing heavily. (Note: he only breathed heavily after one of these episodes).

I initially thought swim bladder from reading. I had recently added freeze dried blood worms to the community tank's feeding (I did not pre-soak them, new lesson learned). In the QT I did the whole 3 day fast, followed by peas. No improvement. He has become very inactive, lays on the bottom, sometimes on his side. Will only move if "prodded" or to eat (he doesn't have a healthy appetite, but is eating some). Still has the erratic swimming when he does move.

I picked up Marineland All-in-one remedy. Since I have not observed white spots, or redness; scales and whiskers look healthy, this seemed a good try. Just finished the 5 day treatment as prescribed by the bottle and still no improvement. Nor has he become worse either.

I'm out of ideas and very concerned for the little guy. Any ideas at all???
Thanks in advance

Blue jay, if your water is fine and none of the other tankmates are sick, then maybe your at least 2 y.o. Cory cat is simply aging out. That happens in my tanks every once in a while. It seems the smaller the fish the shorter the life span.

What meds are in the remedy?
Hi Delapool! The bottle says "Active Ingredient:
1-Chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone" and that it is "Non-antibiotic, broad-spectrum tablets for freshwater aquarium fish. Treatment for external parasites, viral, fungal, & bacterial infections"

Blue jay, if your water is fine and none of the other tankmates are sick, then maybe your at least 2 y.o. Cory cat is simply aging out. That happens in my tanks every once in a while. It seems the smaller the fish the shorter the life span.
Hi V227. Thanks for the reply. I thought Corys could live up to 5yrs, but my friend who gave him to me was his second owner, so his age may not be accurate. This is my first tank so I've not seen what happens to aging fish. Is this normal behavior for them when they are aging out?

Some Cories can live 15yrs. C paleatus are one of the longer lived variety. I don't think they live as long when kept singly. What is the temperature ?

If he passes, consider adding more emeralds.

What is his diet ?

Make sure meds are safe for scaleless fish. Most should only be used 1/2 strength.

Sounds like you gave him a good home.

Sorry he's sick. I love my Corydoras.

Hi! Thank you for the reply. Temp is almost always 78. We have a swamp cooler, so sometimes the temp will go up to 80 in the tank when it's triple digits outside. That hasn't happened for about a month tho.

I feed flake to the community, and shrimp pellets to my catfish. Every three days I drop in veggie tabs. I recently started cycling in blood meal worms as a treat and some variety once a week or so. I buy Omega One for all their food.

I love these Corys too! They are both "adopted"." And I will definatly consider adding more. I will probably have to upgrade my pride and joy (6inch upside down catfish) to a bigger tank first so I don't overcrowd. I have found fish to be a quickly addictive hobby

I'd try metro next as an anti-biotic.
Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

Copied in a patent for light reading. Will see if I can find out more on treatment effectiveness for internal infections. I can see the use for white spot / external infections - not so convinced on internal ones.

Patent US8563587 - Methods and compositions for treating fish diseases - Google Patents
Wow thank you so much! Bedtime reading for sure! (I'm not being sarcastic at all). I will look into this

Hi! Thank you for the reply. Temp is almost always 78. We have a swamp cooler, so sometimes the temp will go up to 80 in the tank when it's triple digits outside. That hasn't happened for about a month tho.

I feed flake to the community, and shrimp pellets to my catfish. Every three days I drop in veggie tabs. I recently started cycling in blood meal worms as a treat and some variety once a week or so. I buy Omega One for all their food.

I love these Corys too! They are both "adopted"." And I will definatly consider adding more. I will probably have to upgrade my pride and joy (6inch upside down catfish) to a bigger tank first so I don't overcrowd. I have found fish to be a quickly addictive hobby

Freeze Dried, Frozen or Live worms ?

Freeze Dried is an issue for many fish. Can cause blockages.

If you upgrade the Upside Down, remember they are a social species also.

Are you sure it's an Upside Down ? Most stay about 4".

Syno Species
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=29#414

I've seen people mix up Syno nigriventris
with Syno eupterus the Featherfin Squeaker.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=121

Wow thank you so much! Bedtime reading for sure! (I'm not being sarcastic at all). I will look into this

I've never seen fantastic results with the chloride treatment but have never used it (not available here). I've seen it listed for contact lens treatment so it works but not sure how effective it can be internally.

Blue jay, Cory cats, especially Emerald greens are one of my favorites. I have kept several schools of them over the past few decades. I believe the average lifespan of Cory cats are
4-7 yrs. I don't think any of mine lasted over 5 yrs. Of course there is always going to be a record breaker surviving much longer. Once had a rummynose tetra live over 10 yrs. The rest of his school died off between years 3-5, figure that. I hope your Cory recovers.

Freeze Dried, Frozen or Live worms ?

Freeze Dried is an issue for many fish. Can cause blockages.

If you upgrade the Upside Down, remember they are a social species also.

Are you sure it's an Upside Down ? Most stay about 4".

Syno Species
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=29#414

I've seen people mix up Syno nigriventris
with Syno eupterus the Featherfin Squeaker.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=121
The blood worms are freeze dried. It is why I initially suspected swim bladder from over eating. Before he got sick, I had not heard of soaking them before feeding until I researched the symptoms. I wish the pre soak method was something companies would suggest on the food canisters! Suffice to say, I now presoak them to be safe.

And you are right about the upside down catfish!!! Another strike for a pet store right? They said that he was an upside down catfish (the tanks are not well labeled) and I didn't question it. Even when he didn't swim upside down, I figured he was just "special". Although he sometimes does, or likes to hang upside down in his cave. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look more into his correct species now

I've never seen fantastic results with the chloride treatment but have never used it (not available here). I've seen it listed for contact lens treatment so it works but not sure how effective it can be internally.
Okay, I'll admit, the patent stuff went pretty much right over my head. I read up on Metronidazole (what you meant by Metro right?) Just curious why that one? Since it is for such a specific bacteria? Also, is it something that can be bought at a pet store? Thanks again

The blood worms are freeze dried. It is why I initially suspected swim bladder from over eating. Before he got sick, I had not heard of soaking them before feeding until I researched the symptoms. I wish the pre soak method was something companies would suggest on the food canisters! Suffice to say, I now presoak them to be safe.

And you are right about the upside down catfish!!! Another strike for a pet store right? They said that he was an upside down catfish (the tanks are not well labeled) and I didn't question it. Even when he didn't swim upside down, I figured he was just "special". Although he sometimes does, or likes to hang upside down in his cave. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look more into his correct species now

I'm betting Featherfin Squeaker. They are territorial and are usually very hardy.

Okay, I'll admit, the patent stuff went pretty much right over my head. I read up on Metronidazole (what you meant by Metro right?) Just curious why that one? Since it is for such a specific bacteria? Also, is it something that can be bought at a pet store? Thanks again

You should be able to get that one at the fish shop in the US. The patent was pretty bad lol. It was interesting as most work seemed on fungus or white spot rather than internal issues - a little dubious on anything that claims to treat viral infections. But I did like it that it was slowly lifting treatment rate to allow the fish to adjust.

So tank readings looked ok I think, one other to check would be that organic detritus along tank bottom is as low as possible - just to basically have a clean tank as I'm sure you know. Also good water flow (sometimes tanks get cold layers). Just in case, anything to remove any possible issues first.

The tetracycline meds type don't work well in hard water and the tetracycline med itself is quite old (I've never found it useful). Interestingly we had an international discus speaker here and he was keen on minocycline (likely in very soft water though).

Sulpha meds are still useful and quite safe but also older (and slower acting). Triple sulpha or a combination of sulpha meds I do find useful. Quinine rare to see used.

Furan 2 I have found useful (including for bloating) and would be another suggestion. Fairly safe. Kanaplax another except I've had terrible luck with it - every fish with any sort of bloating has passed shortly after trying it in a hospital tank (ohters report success though). Not safe in my tank somehow lol.

Metro is quite safe and worth a try on bloating where it should be effective on anaerobic bacteria. I'd try that one first, run a second treatment if looks to be improving else here I'd try furan 2 next. (in hospital tank and as you have tried everything else and as stress free as possible. Changes in temp I've found will be enough to muck up recovery). Some thoughts.

Thank you so much Delapool! I feel that this info will come in handy for future sick fish too. I picked up Metroplex from a specialty store (my usual go-to pet store didn't carry). It was marked up x3 what I saw online D: but didn't want to wait for shipping to get my little guy started. Yikes. So last night was his first dose. He has hung in so long, I'm honestly surprised, but also hoping he has enough left in him to make it through this new treatment.

Thank you again! I will try the Furan 2 if there is no change. And will keep group posted on his outcome.

Good luck with him! Very hard with internal problems as can't see much going on unfortunately.

The article on different med types is pretty good reference I find. There is also an aquarium wiki that covers stuff like salt.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Salt

And just trying to find that infection/problem trigger so meds are last stage as I find plants can hate some meds (if you have no room for hospital tank or can't catch fish out of main tank).

Update

UPDATE -

The Metro treatment was (as prescribed by the bottle) every other day for 3 weeks "or until symptoms disappear." Towards the end of the treatment, his symptoms became worse. Instead of upside down on the hospital tank bottom, he was upside down floating at the top. And although he was eating some, it was not enough and he was losing weight. Not knowing for sure if the next treatment would work either (or the one after that) I consulted the site's sticky post on fish euthanasia :( I let my Cory go after the Metro treatment. It was a hard decision, but his symptoms had been going on so long and he was so miserable.

I wanted to thank everyone for their help and support! This was only my second sick fish, and the first with an internal problem. Despite not being able to help my little guy, I at least feel more prepared for treating any future fish with internal issues.

Back
Top Bottom