Very Sick Veil Angel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have noticed that something is wrong with one of me Angels. It's lethargic, it's not eating, It's fins are fraying badly, on it's crown it appears to be missing some scales, where the scales use to be there are now white sores. "Pirate" as he is affectionatly known, seems very dazed. I have two pictures, hopefully they are decent enough quality. I am a few days away from transferring my entire stock into the new 46gal tank, which will leave mt established 20 as triage if need be.

James,

Please describe the white sores to me, because altho I see the white spots on your fish, the angle is not close enough to tell what I need to know. Do they appear to have a white cottony growth on them, or do they look like white-colored cysts ?

Can you give some information about your tank ? Facts about your pH, ammonia level, and nitrIte will be helpful, along with tankmates and the condition of the other fish. Is anyone else exhibiting these symptoms ? What about water changes and substrate vacuuming ... have these been done lately ?

Sorry for all the questions ... but these are all important factors in determining what could be going on with your fish.

Yep, def need water parameters (best place to start in diagnosing probs).

Also, you've 4 angels in a rather small space; is it possible he is getting the snot kicked outa him by the others? My guess, assuming its not water parameters, is either he's being attacked or its a bacterial infection (or a combo of both). I'd get the 46g up ASAP, and get him isolated.

My bad. I forgot to include that info about the water conditions. As of Monday the 20th parameters are as follows. KH @ 4 GH @ 3 pH7.0 both ammonia and Nitrites are 0ppm. Other tank inhabitants seem to be doing ok. Only fighting I have noticed is my small Gourami nips at the fins of "Pirate"(my girlfriend named him that :roll: ) Last water changed was on Wednesday Oct. 15th. Was a 10%. I do them about every two weeks. I test the water usually twice a week. The sores don't look like a fungal infection, I.E. "cottony" It looks more like an indentation in the scales, were they are missing. His fins are just fraying away,they are splitting. He's lethargic seems unresponsive. Also has no appetite at all. Not even for bloodworms. I have another pic let me try to upload it. Grr the images are to big, if anyone needs them I can e-mail them or give a url.

James,

No need. I am strongly suspecting Fin rot due to the loss of scales and frayed/damaged fins.

I would suggest doing an emergency water change of 50% with a thorough vacuuming of the substrate to eliminate all decaying food and waste products that can be breeding grounds for a host of life-threatening bacterial infections. IMO your water change routine is a bit on the light side - I would increase that to 30-40% every week, or 40-50% every two weeks with a substrate-vacuuming each time.

For more information about this condition and its treatment, please see my profile :

http://www.tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=818

I was doing it every week and taking 25%. I cut back since I was trying to raise plants. In fact I was purposely not vacc-ing all the gravel so there would be material there for the plants. I guess I'll go ahead and do it though, if it's going to preserve my Angel. I tried treatment with melafix a week or two ago, it didn't seem to help any. Let me check out your link though. Thanks btw for your help it's much appreciated. I do have a question, How can a topical treatment be applied to the fish? Net 'em and just rub it on?

If your fish is showing signs other then a simple case of fin rot, I'm not surprised Melafix didn't help. My guess is he needs something stronger and I would go with a broad spectrum antibiotic (Kanacyn or tetracycline for example).

Yea, I figured that was what I would have to do. Thats why I have been trying to hold off till I got the other tank set up. The stand is built the canister is cultured I have all the equipment I am just waiting for my plants to arrive, should be here friday. Adding the medicine would mess everything up, and could kill my other fish. As I am sure you already know.

Back
Top Bottom