Voss meets Popeye in the worst possible way... :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaChi

Aquarium Advice Regular
So here is the deal.

I recently added two Japanese algae eating shrimp to my 5-gallon. There was voss, 1 cherry shrimp, an oto and one assassin snail in there was well.

After adding them I realized how much crap was stuck in the back of my planted tank so I used a "turkey baster" device meant for aquariums to stir it up and suck it out with my gravel-vac. I did a 50% water change with the same type of spring water and water parameters were the same (within 95%) of what they normally are which are good. This afternoon we saw him like THIS. I hope he doesn't lose an eye! :nono:

Anyway any other advice is appreciated.

I isolated him and will do 100% water changes in his cup. I added betta revive, mela-fix and some aquarium salt (going to buy some epsom salt tonight) these are my go-to remedies.

Let me know if other items would work.

Poor little fella...

:fish2:

Attachments

• IMG_2310.jpg
    IMG_2310.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 93
Eye was not saved...

:(

So he is beginning to act like this old self again...but we lost the eye.

I think it popped :facepalm: when I was dosing his medicine and changing the water in his cup daily. I would put him in a net for a few moments and he kept flopping around in it...so I assume that is his eye hanging from where he had a cut...correct? Where his eye skin is, the black part is foggy and looks different from the other one. That is why I am wondering if that is what is hanging from his face is the internal part of his eye that is normally kept underneath the foggy black skin part. But it came through the cut.

I know it is gross but I don't think he can see out of one side of his head. Can I put him back in his old tank?

Should I be worried?

Poor little guy. He is tough and acting normal again. Still hasn't eaten in a few days though.

:morning:

Attachments

• IMG_2316.jpg
    IMG_2316.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 68
That's a shame. :(

I think you can put him back in his tank (has the other eye returned to normal), but you might want to treat him with something to prevent infection of the ruined eye. In an aquarium he'll still be able to feed fine.

Do you think that is his "eye" hanging out? :cry: *shudder*

I am not sure if I should leave it or try to see if it comes off (probably too much trauma for the little guy). Just at odds with this.

His other eye seems fine. THAT other one, though, is def messed up.

Back
Top Bottom