Wait or Put to sleep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaylie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and will post my introduction soon but I just need to get this sorted out first :)

Well here's the story.....
I got 2 (baby) goldfish comets called Aqua and Cricket around a year or 2 ago. Around 2 weeks ago Aqua got sick (going onto side, going very wobbly etc). I made the desision to put her to sleep with clove oil after going up the wall with worry. Have to note the flakes I was feeding them both, had turned moldy and I had no idea.
Ok, then I bought a new friend (aquaJem) for Cricket. In the last few days Cricket who has had swim bladder problems ever since I got him has been swimming very wobbly (just what Aqua did before she died) and got what I think is fin rot and is spending most/all time near the top of the water. I got some PimaFix for him (doubt it will work) and have been treating him for last 2 1/2 days with no improvement.

Considering all these things (and I don't think Cricket likes his new friend and looks very unhappy). Do you think I should say goodbye and use the clove oil or continue to wait it out. Keep in mind I want to be 100% sure but also don't want to torture it by doing so.

Thanks a million in advance :D
Kaylie

:welcome: to AA! :)

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and will post my introduction soon but I just need to get this sorted out first :)

Well here's the story.....
I got 2 (baby) goldfish comets called Aqua and Cricket around a year or 2 ago. Around 2 weeks ago Aqua got sick (going onto side, going very wobbly etc). I made the desision to put her to sleep with clove oil after going up the wall with worry. Have to note the flakes I was feeding them both, had turned moldy and I had no idea.
Ok, then I bought a new friend (aquaJem) for Cricket. In the last few days Cricket who has had swim bladder problems ever since I got him has been swimming very wobbly (just what Aqua did before she died) and got what I think is fin rot and is spending most/all time near the top of the water. I got some PimaFix for him (doubt it will work) and have been treating him for last 2 1/2 days with no improvement.

Considering all these things (and I don't think Cricket likes his new friend and looks very unhappy). Do you think I should say goodbye and use the clove oil or continue to wait it out. Keep in mind I want to be 100% sure but also don't want to torture it by doing so.

Thanks a million in advance :D
Kaylie

What are the levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? Also what size tank?

Have you been doing partial water changes (PWC) lately?

That's one of my problems, I haven't any clue. It has no filters or air stones etc. I'd love to go out and get the things but right now it's far too muddy to get out (long story).
The tank is 6 gallons (would love to improve the setup) and did a 25% water change this morning. It's due for a clean but don't really want to move him.

For now, hold on with putting him to sleep in my opinion. Maybe we can help you out. There are some very knowledgable people on here who know a LOT about goldfish.
Ouch, that is a pretty small tank for goldies. How often do you change the water?
People on here will tell you that in order to make your fishies happy, you will need to upgrade your tank asap. Is it possible for you to get a bigger tank?

That's one of my problems, I haven't any clue. It has no filters or air stones etc. I'd love to go out and get the things but right now it's far too muddy to get out (long story).
The tank is 6 gallons (would love to improve the setup) and did a 25% water change this morning. It's due for a clean but don't really want to move him.

Did you cycle this tank???

Not having a filter is a MAJOR problem. Goldfish are SUPER messy and can easily overload your bioload. Do you have any idea what the levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are in your tank?
How frequent are your water changes? If you're going to full-on clean the tank it's not necessary, you can always use a gravel vaccuum.
The problem is that the tank is super small for a goldfish. Why? See here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/goldfish-a-psa-153329.html.
I would suggest rehoming them or getting them a bigger tank, as in that small goldfishs' waste can kill them off. Do you have any spare tanks, like a forty gallon? That should be fine for two of them with proper filtration.

Whoops, just the thing about the mud. Ok, in the meantime, you will need to be doing fequent water changes for them.

Thanks for your replies guys! Just note that I'm as beginner as I can get and have had thoughts about rehoming them so 40 gallon tanks are the last thing I have lying around unfortunately. Besides that I'd rather focus on Cricket then update his whole setup for now until we can at least get out.
I clean his tank weekly :)

Thanks for your replies guys! Just note that I'm as beginner as I can get and have had thoughts about rehoming them so 40 gallon tanks are the last thing I have lying around unfortunately. Besides that I'd rather focus on Cricket then update his whole setup for now until we can at least get out.
I clean his tank weekly :)

Okay :)

I would try daily, goldfish in that small of a tank ammonia easily builds up...

So, you should change the water daily like bruins said. You can keep dosing the pimafix if you want. Clean water is the key to quelling fin rot though.
What kind of food are you feeding? Goldies can develop swim bladder problems if al their food is at the top of the tank which causes them to gulp air as they eat. Are you feeding flakes still? What kind?
Any idea when you will be able to get out and maybe get a few more supplies for your fishies?
Again, daily water changes are the most important thing right now for your situation. Hang in there and hopefully he will be ok.

When you say a water change do you mean partial or full? Right now I'm feeding a good quality pellet that I soak first so they sink (please give your opinion on what foods are better as well as fresh foods etc) I also give him shelled peas every now and then. I've been holding off on feeding him for 2 days now, when should I feed him next?

When you say a water change do you mean partial or full? Right now I'm feeding a good quality pellet that I soak first so they sink (please give your opinion on what foods are better as well as fresh foods etc) I also give him shelled peas every now and then. I've been holding off on feeding him for 2 days now, when should I feed him next?
I would change about 50% of the water everyday at least. If it looks cloudy, maybe more.
Good to hear about the pellets. New Life Spectrum is the food that I have found to be the most highly recommended. I would feed him the pellets again because goldies need to eat frequently. YOu are soaking them, and that is the right thing to do. You are on a good track. Now, you just have to focus on the water changes and having the patience to wait to wait it out. Keep us updated and continue to ask anymore questions you have. Flossie keeps goldies. She is a member on here who could send a pm to for additional advice. Sssea is another good goldy owner.

Ok I feed him a pea this afternoon (not the whole one of course). I always put the pea on the tip of a needle and give it to him, he took around 5 seconds to line up.
Also I phoned the pet shop I got the fish from (my favorite pet shop) and they have a 16 gallon tank (rectangle) that's fairly cheap, considering that Cricket is around 4 inches and AquaJem is around 2 1/2 inches (including the tail which of course is pretty long). Would it be ok (who knows when we can get out though)?

Forgot to say too I have a very, very small bowl that's 5 liters, would it be worth seperating them?

Kay

Ok I feed him a pea this afternoon (not the whole one of course). I always put the pea on the tip of a needle and give it to him, he took around 5 seconds to line up.
Also I phoned the pet shop I got the fish from (my favorite pet shop) and they have a 16 gallon tank (rectangle) that's fairly cheap, considering that Cricket is around 4 inches and AquaJem is around 2 1/2 inches (including the tail which of course is pretty long). Would it be ok (who knows when we can get out though)?

Forgot to say too I have a very, very small bowl that's 5 liters, would it be worth seperating them?

Kay

Definitely get the tank, it can be a temporary solution for now.

Not really, it might only make the problem worse because in that small of a bowl the ammonia will build up fast and since you have no filter it'll be quite a bit of water changes, maybe every hour I'd say.

Ok guys, no improvement to speak of. The only thing different is that he is not swimming as much (just staying at top of tank in same position for long periods) and his fins have no change (of growing back etc). Since he is getting no enjoyment out of life and is remaining the same I'm still thinking of putting him out of his misery but need as many opinions as I can possibly get.....

Thats up to you. It is hard to me to give advice when I can't actually see him. It does sound like he is not doing well though. I would like to think that he could maybe still improve, but it will be extra hard to get healthy again under the circumstances.

What do you mean put him to sleep? Is there a way to do that if a fish is very ill? I have not heard of it.

I hope things work out for you.

What do you mean put him to sleep? Is there a way to do that if a fish is very ill? I have not heard of it.

I hope things work out for you.
There are several ways to quickly and painlessly euthanize a fish to end their suffering. Go to the search bar on the forum and search for euthanasia and you will find several helpful threads about the topic.

Ok, made the decision to put him to sleep, will be doing it soon :(
Anyway thanks your help everyone! Hopefully the other one won't be too lonely....

Back
Top Bottom