Wal mart fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigtay

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will never buy any fish from Wal mart, I saw an group of puffers in a fishtank with ick on em, they still was tryin to sell em,they where bout 18 of them In a ten gallon tank. The cichlids looked sick also, dead algae eater floating around gettin ate by other fish,the list of problems go on and on. Walmart just need to stop selling fish if they don't have the right people to care for them.

You know I think I'm starting to change my approach to lfs's that treat their fish poorly. I'm starting to see myself as a small rescue shelter. If I find a fish that is in poor health at a fish store I'll consider buying (if I can) just to save the poor guy. Of course, I can't buy every sick fish I come across, but if I was planning to buy one anyway, I may take the chance. Of course, I realize that can get really expensive (so keep your receipt for a credit or exchange). I also understand that not every fish can be saved.

Of course, you don't want to introduce that fish to a healthy tank, so you have to quarantine. I treat my new fish as though their sick already. I immediately treat for ich (usually with higher water temp to start out with). I'm still trying to find a safe method to treat for other concerns, like internal parasites or fungus. But if you get a fish from the store with a condition you can already diagnose then you're already on the way to finding the right treatment.

OhNeil1969 said:
You know I think I'm starting to change my approach to lfs's that treat their fish poorly. I'm starting to see myself as a small rescue shelter. If I find a fish that is in poor health at a fish store I'll consider buying (if I can) just to save the poor guy. Of course, I can't buy every sick fish I come across, but if I was planning to buy one anyway, I may take the chance. Of course, I realize that can get really expensive (so keep your receipt for a credit or exchange). I also understand that not every fish can be saved.

Of course, you don't want to introduce that fish to a healthy tank, so you have to quarantine. I treat my new fish as though their sick already. I immediately treat for ich (usually with higher water temp to start out with). I'm still trying to find a safe method to treat for other concerns, like internal parasites or fungus. But if you get a fish from the store with a condition you can already diagnose then you're already on the way to finding the right treatment.

Oh no, I didn't purchase any, I have my fishtank stocked with mbuna's. I acted like I was gonna buy the puffers and I asked the guy, what's the white stuff on them, he replied it was sand, I told him it was ich and the fish will die if untreated, he said they would just order sum more. Sorry for the fish in there.....

That's pretty cold: "they will just order sum more." There's been a lot of discussion on this site about the quality of help at local fish stores, but that one takes the cake.

Wow that's horrible I still rescue fish in poor health because there needs aren't meet by ignorant people

ya, that sucks doesnt it? i have rescued a rabbit, cats, a blue heeler, a pure bred rotweiller, just saw some more pups...i want to help them all.those chain stores are rich enough to hire dedicated pet employees...

Doesn't buying from places that don't properly take care of their animals just enforce that. "we'll just order more" to torture and kill. Boycott them and spread the word around to boycott.

Doesn't buying from places that don't properly take care of their animals just enforce that. "we'll just order more" to torture and kill. Boycott them and spread the word around to boycott.

I agree. I used to think the same way, but it just no longer makes sense to me. I guess IMO (no offense) it's romanticizing the situation.
But I do believe if you're gonna rag on Walmart, that you need to rag on Petco and Petsmart, etc. as well. They're equally bad IME.

I mean they have alot of fish but I rescue the ones that they don't give chances to the rejects essentially even if it comes off as if im supporting them im not im supporting the animal

I'm not saying you're bad for buying the fish, but you can't deny that your money is supporting their practice.

I mean its a few dollars but hey im thinking about the life not the money

Back
Top Bottom