Wart on red bellied piranha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WestonMVS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just re-homed these piranha and one seems to have developed a wart or pimple like growth on it's chin. Does anyone have thoughts on what it is or possible treatment?
Not for sure the water parameters in their old tank but new is partially planted and completely cycled.
ATTACH]257280[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417579106.406073.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417579075.495337.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417579075.495337.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 100
He is happy and healthy swims around with the other 2 and eats just fine. I just didn't know if it was a parasite or something else I could be treating him for.

They are looking much better now that they are in a cleaner environment and are starting to get color back their eyes are also clearing up

Yeah so far

Still there it kinda starts to go away then comes right back

I've been trying to get them away from live food as well the previous owner said that's all they've been fed so I kinda wonder if that's not where this came from

I'll have to give that a try And see if it's makes a difference

Metro seems often suggested to try and not too rough on the aquarium.

Never really understood these as they seem one-off.

I guess Lymphocystis could be another possibility.

But I've seen threads where the 'pimple' explodes which seems odd.

Kinda looks as if he got injured running into something. The other one in the first pic also looks to have bruised his lower jaw.
A lot of fish will get injuries around the front of their face from running into the glass or doing the "swim against the glass looking for a way out" thing we have all seen from time to time.

Does it look as if there is any parasite in the wound?

The pimple looked like had popped before and started to heal but came back again

And these piranha are about 7+ inches and the tank they were in previously was heavily decorated and gave them almost no room

Back
Top Bottom