Wasting Disease has claimed my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I knew something was going on, but I couldn't tell what it was until it was pretty much too late. So I've been trying to treat the disease with API General Cure in hopes of saving the other fish, but it seems the disease is still running rampant despite my best efforts, claiming a fish this morning and an Amano Shrimp when I got home. At this point I'm almost certain its all sadly downhill from here, so with that in mind after the remaining guppies and shrimp pass, how should I clean my tank for reuse with new fish?

Do I need to remove all water?

Should I discard any decor or plants? or any equipment such as my net that came in contact with the water/infected fish?

Does the filter need to be changed out?

Should gravel be completely removed?

Its depressing and sucks especially since I just broke ground into the hobby. If you're wondering how I could of gotten the disease, its because when my local pet store relinquishes fish they just toss them straight into the sale tank without any quarantine (never going back). So to make sure this disease doesn't infect my spirit or try to come back, PLEASE let me know what I should do to make sure future fish don't have to suffer.

:thanks:

Use the general cure in food with galic, dosent work that well in hard calcium water we have here in the midwest.
Do I have to disenfect everything?
No, never really have to do that, unless you plan on getting out of fish hobby ;)
It can be also caused by bacteria, or just weak fish genes.

Back
Top Bottom