water changes + Aquabalance = death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KidFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm running a 20 gallon long, dirted planted tank. I've been doing a lot of water changes, around 5 gallons a day. I don't have any test strips but last week I got my water tested at a local shop and they said everything looked good except I had a mildly high ammonia. Not anything super high or untolerable just enough to cause stress on the fish. that's why I started doing water changes like crazy.

Yesterday after my water change (50%) (everything was perfect before the water change) I added aquabalance plus by accident (thought it was my water conditioner. I sprayed it in the tank approx. 15ml. then over the next two hours all my fish died.

WHAT HAPPENED?

any ideas folks? I've been keeping fish the last couple years and haven't had a fishpocolypse yet. Never want to make that mistake again..

What is aquabalance plus?

I tried googling it but did not find anything.

So.....basically it is a product for people too lazy to change the water?

Talk about not providing specifics.

It raises KH to an indeterminate level, it sets a "safe" but indeterminate pH, it keeps pH from getting too high by releasing CO2 and it removes phosphates. Lastly, it "Serves as a nutrient for denitrifying bacteria that consume the oxygen releasing nitrogen from the aquarium".

You couldn't pay me to put that in my tank. The advice I would give is don't put anything in your tank without understanding how it will work with your system. In this case, it isn't even specific about what it is doing.

Yeah, still reading that last line :)

This was the closest product I could find though if the OP could confirm?

Edit - Just in case. Last lines in product description I meant.

Last edited:
Hmm....what is your pH like normally and did it change after dosing the product?

What were the fish that died?

Sorry for such a late update, but it has taken me since to figure the reason it killed all my fish.

Aqua balance is used by unknowing aquarists. It often comes in kits.
When the chemical goes into the tank it acts as almost an acid (for lack of a better term) I'm still wondering what went wrong, but when it isn't diluted in water before being added to the tank there is a big issue.

If it comes in contact with the fish it eats through the slime coat and kills them from inside out..

Needless to say I won't be using anything like that again. Thanks for the responses folks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom