water test results from fin rot tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldwaterfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

First thanks for all the advice so far.

I had a tank where fin rot was really bad and finally got a set of strip water test kit.

No3 = 0
No2 = 0
Gh = 16d
Kh = 20d
Ph = 7.2
Cl2 = 0

I added some live planets in the case the fish seam a bit dopped up while i am using the finrot meds to try and put more air in the tank.

And i have starved them for a day.

Hopefully this is the end to fin rot now but i still see white string poo so bopefully one the 8 days are done i can start treating for that.

Added 30 plants to the tank now and turned the bubble curtain off to keep the co2 for the plants.

Thinking the high poo levels a goldfish produces will keep the plants happy and the co2 also.

I have kept the machanical and bio filteration going but without carbon.

I changed the lighting so its suitable for plants and the fish.

Feels kind of weird not having the bubbles on as the filter makes no noise.

Still treating the water for fin rot but i am hoping the plants are going to make a difference.

fin rot usually comes from an unclean tank, from what I have read. Not saying this is the 100% case. But keeping your tank clean clean clean is very important. Water test strips can be inaccurate. I would invest in a liquid test kit for your aquarium. they are a little more costly but last longer also.

do u use a siphon to clean your tank? Do you have gravel, sand or dirt? if u have gravel, make sure you dig into the rock to get the poo and what not. If you keep heat up in the tank then you'll want more aeration, if you don't want to put the bubbler back in you can just lower the water level.

Mix of large and small gravel and i do siphon the tank but the gravel cleaner i got doesnt cut the mustard. Hence why i have added plants.

Will order a liqud test kit.

Its a 300 ltr tank or 65 gallon. It seams to be settling down in there since i added the plants i turned the bubbles back on since the fish were hanging about the top

I remember when I had gravel, it took me forever to siphon everything out so I understand, but it still needs to be done. How long has the tank been up & running?

Yeah

The first one to show issues

ForumRunner_20131119_210928.jpg

Then it was fine for a week

ForumRunner_20131119_210950.jpg

So i changed the tank from plastics

ForumRunner_20131119_211012.jpg

To. As i am hoping the plants will help with the water.

ForumRunner_20131119_211029.jpg

I got a 2000 ltr hour bio filter no carbon

ForumRunner_20131119_211158.jpg

And the largest bubble pump i could get

ForumRunner_20131119_211232.jpg

The fish died

I did a 80% change and then 50% a day since

All the fish are ok if acting a bit doped up.
I am day 4 into the treatment of the fish. The weather loaches are just floating round the tank but when i check on them they start swimming about fine.

I added the plants today as the gravel is hard to get all the poo out of so they can help with that issue

With a 0 reading of both nitrates and nitrites there has to be ammonia in the water. If the ammonia isn't removed from the tank the fin rot will just keep getting worse until the fish die no matter what medications you put in the tank.

Since there isn't an ammonia reading on what you listed I will assume that you are using the test strips. Your first step should be a 50% water change done as soon as possible. Next after that I would take a sample of water into a LFS and have them test the ammonia for you. After you get the results of the ammonia test back then additional 50% water changes with a 1 hour waiting period between them need to be conducted to get the ammonia level down to .25ppm or less. I would also highly suggest that you invest in an API Freshwater master test kit so you can check the levels yourself since the test strips are notoriously inaccurate. If you can't make it to the LFS today then a safe bet would be to do 4 back to back 50% water changes. This will take the ammonia level all the way from 4ppm down to .25ppm which is a safe level for your fish. I know it sounds like a lot but it really needs to be done.

How long has this tank been set up?
What is your water change schedule?
What dechlorinator do you use?

Reactions: SKB
50% every day at the momment on the tank. I use AquaCare water conditioner

Nutrafin cycle

For the fin rot i use

Interpet anti fungus and finrot

Since i been doing the treatments the weather loaches have been like this but i assure u he is very much alive

ForumRunner_20131119_212627.jpg

The rest of the fish show no signs of fin rot either

ForumRunner_20131119_212855.jpg

ForumRunner_20131119_212928.jpg

ForumRunner_20131119_213020.jpg

This has been the first major issues with the tank in 3 years of running it.

I would still absolutely check for ammonia in the tank. Also, I would turn the bubbler back on as medication will often reduce the amount of oxygen in the water.

9 times out of 10 fin rot is caused by an issue with water parameters.

The commet in the picture was kept in a tiny slime infested bowl for 6 years by the mrs. She never once cleaned him out and used to let the water drop to almost his body height. When i came along i used it as an excuse to get a 300ltr tank. And he had a better quality of life for the next 3 yrs.

We get floride in the water here so wasnt expecting all these issues. The water doesnt even smell of chlorine. I made sure the bubbles and filter were over kill and have a layer of ceramic on the top teir bio balls on second and a mix of both on the bottom. The bio balls are ment to take care of the amonia.

Its gutting all these issues just hope the plants do somthing to help the tank.

Back
Top Bottom