waterspot on tetra, spreading.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a ten gallon aquarium with 5 neon tetras. they have had ich ](taking forever to clear up!) for just under a month. now one of them has a whiteish spot on it that looks like the water stains that end up on windows after the water dries. no fluffiness that I can tell. it recently spread from a top fin onto the body. any ideas what it is? I also just moved and I think that was a bit stressful for them. I really really dont want to lose any more fish. my 2 year old has started asking me "Fish die?" every time he sees me looking at the tank, we lost that many. :(this tank has been incredibly frusterating. parameters are all fine. no new fish or anything. treating for ick with med food and otc water meds. generic 10-20 gal waterfall filter system:ermm:

I had to tetras with my mollys, they were fine for a week then the tetras got ick and fast , it spread to the others and the tetras died . the only way i saved the others was with meds for the ick , regular doses didnt work well so i over dosed just small amounts at a time and the fish were cured in 2 days . hope it helps now im ready for any ick that shows i just dose them or if i added a new fish id put ick medicine for precautions , all my fish have been fine for months and so on

there are only neon tetras in my tank. The ick is better but still lingering. What has me worried is this new white patch on one of the tetras. There have been no new fish introduced. The white patch looks like a water stain (you know when a drop of water dries on a Window and leaves a white spot) . it started as a cloudy section on his dorsal fin and then spread onto his body recently. he still eats fine but not schooling as much. his top fin is starting to look a little ragged. I dont want to lose him or get my other fidh infected! I dont gave room for a hospital tank. please help me :confused:

there are only neon tetras in my tank. The ick is better but still lingering. What has me worried is this new white patch on one of the tetras. There have been no new fish introduced. The white patch looks like a water stain (you know when a drop of water dries on a Window and leaves a white spot) . it started as a cloudy section on his dorsal fin and then spread onto his body recently. he still eats fine but not schooling as much. his top fin is starting to look a little ragged. I dont want to lose him or get my other fidh infected! I dont gave room for a hospital tank. please help me :confused:

Could be a bacterial infection around the fin. The white spot can either mark a problem area or stress - both I've found gives a colour loss but I find stress causes general loss of colour.

Edit - also I've found just doing some pwc's a bit more often for a bit can get them to perk up.

Last edited:
Are you sure it isnt a bite healing , tetras are on the mean side sometimes , my molly had got bitten by my tetra and her side was a little mossy looking now it looks like a whitish scale you could peal off , i know the healing process shows white moss like stuff because thats what happen to my black moors . mine has had her white spot for well over a month now and is pregnant now so idk if its so seriouse, but searching for a medicine might answer the problem

Back
Top Bottom