Weak corydora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok in my 40 gallon I have a ram platys and some other fish (non aggressive) and I had 4 cories. Each died consecutively for the past few weeks and the last one is still alive but I just checked on him and he's very weak. I moved him to my 10 gallon and removed all the danios from the 10 gallon back to the 40 which I failed to breed. I don't know what's been killing the cories but I noticed that the last one that is surviving has been very weak and during the process of netting him he would try to swim away and then fall limp. While I was transferring him, he didn't even flop around in the net. No acclimation was needed as both tanks are at the exact same temperature. Is there anything I can do to save this poor guy?

Also

I got a sponge filter in my 10 about 2 weeks ago and my dad said something about some part of it that needs to be replaced. What was this part again?

Ok in my 40 gallon I have a ram platys and some other fish (non aggressive) and I had 4 cories. Each died consecutively for the past few weeks and the last one is still alive but I just checked on him and he's very weak. I moved him to my 10 gallon and removed all the danios from the 10 gallon back to the 40 which I failed to breed. I don't know what's been killing the cories but I noticed that the last one that is surviving has been very weak and during the process of netting him he would try to swim away and then fall limp. While I was transferring him, he didn't even flop around in the net. No acclimation was needed as both tanks are at the exact same temperature. Is there anything I can do to save this poor guy?

Also

I got a sponge filter in my 10 about 2 weeks ago and my dad said something about some part of it that needs to be replaced. What was this part again?

Did you buy them at the same time? May have been bad stock?

Do you use Salt in your tanks ? Have you used any meds ? Cories are Scaleless fish and sensitive to both.

What are your tanks' testing at ??

What kind of Cories were they ? Ex. Pandas need cooler water. Most are Blackwater species and only a few are commonly bred, so most are WC.

Oh and Rams can be territorial about the bottom of the tank.

What were you feeding ? Mine love live or frozen food. Sinking Catfish pellets and flakes are part of their diet.

Do you use Salt in your tanks ? Have you used any meds ? Cories are Scaleless fish and sensitive to both.

What are your tanks' testing at ??

What kind of Cories were they ? Ex. Pandas need cooler water. Most are Blackwater species and only a few are commonly bred, so most are WC.

Oh and Rams can be territorial about the bottom of the tank.

What were you feeding ? Mine love live or frozen food. Sinking Catfish pellets and flakes are part of their diet.

I would disagree with most not being commonly bred. I see more people asking about "what type of eggs are these" and most of the time it's cory eggs.

Update: the Cory in the medical tank is still hanging on. His physical appearance is none too bad but he is tilted sideways a little and barely moves. I fed him a piece of an algae water but I'm not sure if he ate it or not. I hope this guy survives.

I feed them bloodworms, algae wafers, flakes, brine shrimp

barbles are little barbs that stick out from a corys mouth, what type of substrate do you have? in rough or bigger sized gravel they will lose the barbles and they will become infected.

Looks very weak I do see te barbs coming out of his mouth but he is lying sideways against a large pebble and he is breathing but he looks bent as well. I don't understand what's wrong.

Oh crap really? I may have to move him back as the substrate is very big pebbles

Oh crap really? I may have to move him back as the substrate is very big pebbles

The large gravel isn't ideal. Normally it's infections from dirty conditions that cause the worst problems. But one issue is the food tends to fall between the gravel pieces and not stay accessible. Plus Cories love to dig around and that's not possible with heavy substrate. Soft rounded sand is recommended.

For now feed on a flat rock or small plate or feeding dish. Use a tube to guide sinking food where you want it.

Or soak flakes or frozen food and use a turkey baster to squirt it directly to the fish, Target Feeding.

Lol he is still hanging on what a strong little guy! I think he might be getting better, the solitude and peaceful sponge filter should help along with getting food all to himself

Back
Top Bottom