Weird blister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bwanny

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys! I recently solved an issue with my flowerhorn cichlid fighting with my oscar and it's head was healing but there's been this weird blister shape on his head for about a month now. I tried melafix and no luck with that. Levels are great in the tank right now and I've been checking them religiously. Any recommendations to get rid of this bump?1502733029039.jpg

I've never seen any disease or injury like the lesion pictured on the FH. Looking at the underside of the fish there appears to be an unusual growth pattern on the right side. The noted blister growth is also on the fishes right side. The blister might be a continuation of the noted growth pattern. If not that maybe a virial growth or burn. Good luck.

I don't see any redness on or around the bump at all

Might be ok, was it an original injury site? Solid or liquid-filled blister?

Also just to cross-off, what readings do you have? I highly doubt it's applicable but on occasion it helps to have posted.

Not sure if it's liquid or solid filled in the blister. Yes that was the original site of injury. The affected flowerhorn used to pick fights with my oscar and the oscar fought back by biting the front of his head. Now there's that blister that remains. Very strange. I'll have to check the levels in a little bit yet. I just moved and had to change a lot of the water so the reading won't be very accurate right now.

Only visually - like a clear blister from bad shoes or something more solid/lumpy. To me I'm guessing more like a clear blister.

Yea it looks for like a clear one, any suggestions to get rid of it?

As noted, I've never seen anything like the bubble blister on your FH before so I did some digging. The problem might be a "gas embolism" or gas bubble disease. Somehow excess gasses in the water make its way into the affected fishes system causing bubble blisters often times on the head and eyes. The articles I read advised not to pop the blister but to correct the gas imbalance in the tank. Good luck identifying and solving that situation. The only other possibility is lymphocystis. This virus causes blister growths but usually not perfectly rounded and smooth like on your FH. Lymphocystis is also called cauliflower disease due to the bumpy texture of the sores. I hope this points you in the right direction.

Hmmmm thanks for the help. The gas imbalance sounds intriguing. I'll have to look into it. I'm not quite sure exactly how I would test that?

I don't think a test exist for gas bubble embolisms. Looking on line, the only blisters that looked consistent with the one on your FH were the blisters that occur from gas bubble disease. Sounds like a long shot but nothing surprises me anymore.

Back
Top Bottom