Weird fish death...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikedbom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My big firemouth died a few weeks ago and I took a picture of him before he got flushed because there was some weird stuff on him that i've never seen before. I've lost quite a few fish in my years and I have never seen this before.

direct link if thumb doesnt work for you...
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq324/mikedbom/fish.jpg

If anyone has an idea of what that thing is on his side, please let me know. His mouth was also full of the same stuff. Other than him not eating and just chasing other tankmates around, he was perfectly healthy and very pretty. There is another female firemouth in the with him, a catfish and two other unknown cichlids. tank water has always been good although i'm having a bit of an algae problem. btw, he smelled really bad too.

I am not sure if it is the same for other people but even when I click on the picture and zoom in it is really tiny? I am ok my phone do maybe it is better for computer users

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

it works on my computer but i added a direct link to the image as well. thanks.

I would suspect the UNKNOWN cichlids. He looks like he was attacked. Post some pics of the others. Unless he died then got torn up from the catfish.

If the catfish is a pleco that would explain the flesh looking sucked out. The pleco would do this right after he died.

the unknowns are the two in the front.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq324/mikedbom/IMG_1252.jpg

the big firemouth was the boss of the tank. even though one of these unknown cichlids has become very dark with purple flecks and is now the aggressor, i cant imagine one of them killing the FM. i guess its possible but the female still remains untouched.

also, he was found floating at the top of the tank upside down. the catfish is a Pictus cat. stays mostly at the bottom and under rocks.

I'm on my phone now but the unknowns look like jack dempsy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like a heater burn from the picture.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He may have died first then the others were picking at him.

@Rnord - unlikely to be a heater burn...heater is composite and never gets very hot.

@mikem - JD's are what someone else said but i swore the fish store told me they were something else when i bought them. perhaps they were using the scientific name.

no doubt was someone picking at him. i was most concerned with that thing on his side which looks like a growth or a parasite bursting out of him. like i said his mouth was full of the same gelatin looking substance. I also find it strange for a fish to look perfectly healthy, chase fish around, be active, and the next day dead...unless he was attacked but i find that hard to believe.

anyways, i appreciate the responses.

Ask for an I'd in the cichlid section. If they are JDS I think they may be a little to aggressive for the fire mouths. Back when I didn't know better I had a salvini that would hide during the day and go on a killing spree at night.

The gelatin thing is strange though

Were they possibly sold to you as blue acaras or Aequidens Pulcher ? Could also be that

No it was a scientific name. Kinda weird. I thought it was salvini but the ones that store carries are yellow. I should have written it down but I didn't. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The virus can selectively affect the mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal tract and lips. Fish can appear healthy externally with normal behavior especially if the virus is incubating or dormant. Think of it like shingles, potentially debilitating during outbreak but asymptomatic at other times.

Back
Top Bottom