Weird Illness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoviceFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to fish. I have a 10 gallon tank and just recently upgraded to a more powerful filter. I have 2 mickey mouse platys, 3 neon tetras, an amano shrimp, and 2 catfish bottom feeders. A couple weeks ago I noticed that my blue platy wasn't doing well. He was hanging out at the bottom of the tank and when I looked closer I noticed that it looked like his skin was flaking off and his gills and rectum were red. I isolated him, went to the pet store and was offered a general cure by the pet store employee, and treated the fish. He was doing a lot better, so I put him back into the tank. Last night my husband noticed that the fish wasn't doing well again, put him back into the "isolation bowl." This morning the fish was dead. When I went to feed the fish this morning I noticed that one of my tetras looked very bad- same thing as the platy but this fish's mouth looked like it was stuck open. Another tetra seems to be showing signs, so I put them into the (newly cleaned) isolation bowl. I went to go take a picture of the fish just now to give you an idea of what was going on, but he was already dead. The tetras seemed healthy otherwise, though, as they were not hanging out at the bottom of the tank like the platy.

So what's wrong with my fish? The treatment seemed to help my platy but as soon as I put him back in the main tank he was sick agan. To recap, symptoms are flaky looking skin and red gills and rectum. Platy was lethargic and at the bottom of the tank, tetras were still swimming around like normal. The rest of my fish are acting normal and look healthy.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Sorry for the loss of your fish. I don't suppose the store/yourself tested ph and ammonia at all? Wasn't sure if you kept some filter media from the old filter to ensure the tank stayed cycled.

Haven't tested the PH but the fish started getting sick before I changed the filter.

I don't know if it matters, but the isolation bowl smells pretty rotten and I've had to change the water. It's almost like the fish are rotting.

Could perhaps be bacterial or water chemistry. The API freshwater master test kit that covers ammonia, etc and ph would tick off tank water.

Back
Top Bottom