Weird little white worms in my tank? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've seen a few of these guys floating around and didn't think much of it, but now they're everywhere! Will they hurt my fish? Help ASAP!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461373899.094496.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461373921.229778.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Looking at some websites they seem to be roundworms/nematodes. It says they aren't bad for fish, but I still want them gone. Any tips other than water changes/ gravel vacuums?

Also, they are mainly on one side of the divider in my tank. The fish are all on the other side, but I've seen a few over there and they seem fine. I'm mainly worried that they're harmful and I need to let a new betta fish into my tank, I don't want to have brought him home just to get sick.

Sorry to keep adding on. They are detritus worms I believe. Good or bad?

Thanks guys. Any tips on getting rid of them?

Do a bunch of substrate vac's (like every few days), coupled with pwc as stirring up a lot of muck in the tank can elevate nitrates. Test water parameters. But if it isn't in a safe level, get it down to a safe level. Use Prime extra as needed between pwc.

The other things which can appear in the tank are Planaria and Hydras. Check out what they look like so you know.

Cut your feed to half of what you are doing now for a week or 2. (as a trial basis - continue if it seems appropriate, it is all to easy to be an over feeder - I am & trying to recover :) ) If you have begging fish who act like they are starving, then divide the half amount in 2 and feed earlier in the day and then later so they get to eat 2x, or so you can enjoy watching their feeding time too.

What size is your tank, maybe a new fish might be in order that you would enjoy and also likes to eat them.

After the tank clean up. Up the frequency of pwc - let's say if you only do one 1x per week then do one evey 4-5 days instead, and increase the amount like if you do 20% then try 30-35%.

These are all things to try. Test your water for a couple weeks every day or so and see if you can't get it freshened up in there. If it is detritus worm, the worm can go away on their own when the substrate isn't as mucky and enjoyable/nourishing for them. Or at least only be a small number you don't hardly see.

Autumn sky, I bough the betta I mentioned earlier and he eats them if he sees them. Don't have time for that many water changes but weekly with my gravel vac has been really helping. I've also been feeding less and I temporarily stopped giving my garras algae wafers, which I think was part of the problem because they didn't eat the entirety of them. Thanks!

Do you mean panda garras lol love those guys. Mine are active like crazy lol

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Also the type of algae wafers can be an issue. Check the amount (most will have somekind used as a binder) of wheat/filler in the wafers (compare with difference brands in store or online). Some are made better quality than others, also just break them into half or quarters.

Cutting back on those wafers is a great move. Do the best you can for the tank.

Back
Top Bottom