Weird Oscar Behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not really sure what is going on.

My tank is fully cycled and i'm sitting at about 10-15 ppm nitrate 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Tank temperature is sitting at 77 degrees. PH is about 7.8.

I just got a tiger oscar on Monday and ever since i've released him into this tank, which consists of him and him alone. He seems to just lurk around the bottom behind the decorations. Now i understand why he would hide behind simply because he's in a new place and I expected that but just the way he seems to not really come up off the aquarium bottom bothers me. If anyone has any ideas i'd love to hear them.

How large is he? Does he eat at all? I wouldn't worry unless he is looking sickly. It can take several days for a fish to feel comfortable in their new surroundings. Try keeping the lights off more. What size tank is he in?

55 gallon for now and he's only about maybe... 1 1/2 to 2 inches. In about 6 months he's moving to a 75 gallon. And as far as eating he's a little bit sketchy. I haven't seen him eat much.

Okay I looked at him today and it doesn't appear as if he's willing to eat and he's also looking slightly dis colored he's not as dark as he was and around his eyes they're getting a little white-ish. I have no idea what's going on.

Also he doesn't seem to move his caudal fin much. he just likes to float around its odd.

--
I thought my fish tank was fully cycled but I just tested and its showing...
Ammonia -- ~.25 ppm
Nitrite -- ~.25 ppm
Nitrate -- ~20-40 ppm

What should I do about my tiger oscar :(

Last edited:
How or what steps did you take to acclimate the oscar to your tank?

How did the oscar behave in the store as compared to now?

What are you trying to feed the oscar?

Do you have good filtration and water circulation to make sure the tank is evenly heated?

When you mentioned the "white-ish" on the eyes - do you mean the surface of the eye ball(s)?

IMO, that temp (77) is a little on the low side - perhaps slowly turn it up to 79 or 80 and see if that improves the appetite and activity of your oscar. Make sure to calibrate your thermometer first.

Get a good antibiotic that treats cloud eye and get something for parasites and you may try combo of meds if neccessary and as far as a timid fish try covering the tank for a couple of days so he feels confident to eat and swim then try uncovering it more and more and he should be fine.

When i got my oscar he hid for about 2 weeks before really starting to come around. It took 6 days to eat and would not eat when i was around or the light was on. Then he only ate every other day like that. After 2 weeks he started to come out a little with the lights on. After that it only took about a week and every time i walked past the tank he was there swimming up and down trying to get food.

Activity now is great. He's moving around a lot more I bought a second heater and a pump with some air stones. He loves the bubbles and things are sorted out he has a great appetite. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom