Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
I'm not saying 84 degrees will kill ick, you need salt with it. This is a tried and true cure. I'm not trying to start some heat vs. salt debate. Every time someone on this site says "My goldfish has ich", I give them the simple proven way to cure them of ich. Ive done it myself, breeders do it, It works. But almost every time, no one listens and their fish die. Dont ask for advice if youre not going to take it.

Dude, why the heck are you using formalin???? I just noticed in your thread youre using all these chemicals together??
Formalin and salt will cause burns. Get all that crap out of your tank immediatley. I think by this point your fish arent going to make it anyhow.

I dont have the report of the heat resistant ich anymore, its from the U of florida though.

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
dr_girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
If I were you I would shoot the university of mississippi an email.. they have the huge catfish grants and would be able to answer the heat resistant ich question..(if this really is an issue why did purdue university in conjuntion with the university of illinois just publish a DOA fact sheet on heat alone killing ich, federal fact sheet AS-459?) Ive used heat alone so many times I cant even count it.. if you raise the temperature just one more degree your going to be giving the ich a double wamy as far as treatment is concerned and I say if your going to bother getting it all the way up to 84 degrees you might as well raise it up another degree or two and insure its timely demise.
Im not saying your method will not work.. in fact Im saying its more then nessisary there isnt a published paper about a salt resistant strain of ich out there is there? I didnt think so... as long as your using salt your killing the ich..

And using the chemicals at all is not advisable.. the salt alone will work.. the higher temperatures will make it work faster.. Do a 75% water change as soon as possible and then do another one the next day and only replace the salt for the water removed.. all while keeping the temperature up high and you should have sucess at killing the ich.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:45 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Actually, if we are getting technical, the temperature of your tank needs to be 86 or higher, not 84 or higher. The fact is, heat kills ich. Good luck with your treatment.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I will give the salt and heat a go. I have lost four fish now. The one with the reddest gills. im so pissed at the pet shop. I think all they wanted to do is sell me expensive stuff. You know whats funny is that pet smart, a huge chain of pet stores gave me the best advice and didnt try and sell anything. hmm.

Thank you very much for all your help. I just hope the rest survive. sniff sniff.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:30 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Good Luck angelboy. Sorry to hear about your fishies

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
well, I'll go by veterinary recommendations, you guys go by whatever method you read somehwere.

Hope your remanding fish survive angelboy. I hope you got a big tank too because comets get really big. good luck!

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
dr_girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:16 AM   #17

sigh, alas it didnt work. I have lost 10 out of 11. The last one SEEMS to be getting better. I had two others that looked way better and just died. im wondering if the heat is a bit much for goldfish over the long term. They were sarigossa comets or something like that, and chubunkin. Sorry if the names are incorrect. I took the temp up to 86, increased the salt to one tablespoon, and sit back and watch them die. sigh.

I read a different post about KOI that said to only raise it to 80.

Additionally this ick seems pretty heat tolerant. hmm.

Just my thoughts.

Next time im buying much larger fish. Perhaps the size will help.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:24 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I first treated ich with heat 16 years ago.. it wasnt just something I read somewhere..
Old 08-05-2005, 07:32 AM   #19

Well... now that only one has survived and looks very healthy. It has been about 5 days without any sign of problems. im considering putting more goldfish in the tank in about... 5 days.

Now my question is The salt content is at 3 teaspoons per gallon. Can or do I leave it at those levels or remove some of the salt. I was thinking 1 teaspoon per gallon. Will introducing new fish into that much salt be bad. hmm need some more advice, thanks.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:07 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

if u are just finishing dealing with ick i would recommend that you quarantine all the new fish you are planning to add to your tank...you dont want to go through the same thing again...do you?

4 lovely ottos
2 lady platies

5gal FW
dry

La vida es un tango, las solitarias mesetas en mi lejana patagonia y un mate con amigos.....
patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goldfish, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com