What are my snails doing?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler3533

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have one yellow mystery snail. And today I added a black mystery snail. I went away from the tank for around 5 hours and come back to my snails doing this. What does this mean. And what is the white fuzzy thing on them?

Attachments

• image-3460220433.jpg
    image-3460220433.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image-204235166.jpg
    image-204235166.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2040609319.jpg
    image-2040609319.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 82
Looks like mating to me... I also woke one day to mine doing this. My poor black snail wanted nothing to do with the yellow who was mounting her, I moved him to the betta tank.

Tyler3533 said:
So I have one yellow mystery snail. And today I added a black mystery snail. I went away from the tank for around 5 hours and come back to my snails doing this. What does this mean. And what is the white fuzzy thing on them?

Not sure about the fuzzys, some of it looks like snail poo but the pic isn't very clear and I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to snail illnesses. I'm pretty sure different colors can mate, you will notice your female scouring the top of the tank in a few days/weeks they lay there eggs above the water where they can't get wet (water kills the eggs it touches) I've already had one batch of eggs hatch, they will drop into the water when they are ready, you will notice the pink blob of eggs look like its disintegrating, that's the snails hatching. If you don't want ALOT of baby snails I would consider removing the eggs. And cover any holes the snails she'll can fit out of because I've heard they can actually fall out of the tank looking for a place to lay. Mine laid hers on the lids this time.

image-2145950879.jpg

image-288316916.jpg

Looks like they're mating. I had some mystery snails that I had to separate to different tanks because the male wouldn't leave the female along. She would actually twist her shell around as if she was trying to shake him off. If you have another tank, I would suggest separating them to give them to keep their libido in check

Back
Top Bottom