What are your experiences using heat 4 ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been battling ich with tetras and am trying heat as my only method of treatment this round. I read a lot of articles on it before doing so but was wondering what your experience using only heat to treat ich has been?

1. What temp worked best for you,
  2. how bad was the ich to start,
  3. how long did you treat before lowering the temp,
  4. what kind of fish did you have
  5. etc...
Thanks everybody! :thanks:

I used 88 degrees for two weeks.
My fish (bettas, swordtails, rainbows and krib) handled it very well. Ive treated ich twice using heat only and it worked like a charm. Only reason j got ich again was because I added fish. Hope that helps!

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

I've used the heat method twice for ich and it's been successful. I had my elephant nose, rams, kuhli loach, bnp and gourami in the same tank the ram's brought it in. All together it took around 3 weeks, i left the heat up a week after the last visible spot. Also added a extra airstone and pwc with gravel vac every 2 days. My temp was at 30. Never had any losses.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm using heat plus an ich treatment. So far I've lost 2 cardinal tetras, 1 early on and another during increasing the heat. They are not that old so not unexpected.

I have the heater set at 34c which is as high as it will go and the tank is just getting to 29c (1 degree shy of the 30 I want).

Edit - thought I lost others but found them this morning during pec

Last edited:
I've used the heat method twice for ich and it's been successful. I had my elephant nose, rams, kuhli loach, bnp and gourami in the same tank the ram's brought it in. All together it took around 3 weeks, i left the heat up a week after the last visible spot. Also added a extra airstone and pwc with gravel vac every 2 days. My temp was at 30. Never had any losses.

I see you post on every post I look at, but I wanted to know how long have you had your elephant nose for, I had one for a little but the tank got ich, I used medicine that said it was safe but I think it killed it, That happend about a year ago and I was to sad to take the chance with a new one

So I tried heat with the meds and lost quite a few fish the first time. This second time, I added an airstone took the heat quite high (88F) and didn't lose any. Ich free for 3 days now. Cross your fingers!

I see you post on every post I look at, but I wanted to know how long have you had your elephant nose for, I had one for a little but the tank got ich, I used medicine that said it was safe but I think it killed it, That happend about a year ago and I was to sad to take the chance with a new one

I've had mine for 2 years, and you can't put med in their tank as they can't tolerate it. Really enjoy my guy.

I've had mine for 2 years, and you can't put med in their tank as they can't tolerate it. Really enjoy my guy.

I loved mine he was one of my favorite fish but I'm worried that if I get a new one my tank will get ich again

I loved mine he was one of my favorite fish but I'm worried that if I get a new one my tank will get ich again

I just went with the heat method because of my guy, both times he didn't get ich it was just the other fish. Mines my pride and joy! I look at him as a pet and that's how he's treated Lol

I just went with the heat method because of my guy, both times he didn't get ich it was just the other fish. Mines my pride and joy! I look at him as a pet and that's how he's treated Lol

My didn't get ich either and i knew they shouldn't be with the medicine but all my other fish had it and the medicine said it was safe, and my whole tank has ich really bad it was when I first got my aquarium, and I didn't know much or do nearly enough research, probably wasn't advanced enough to have an elephant nose at the time

Back
Top Bottom