What disease is it that makes my mollies "crooked"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Citicricket

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a beta that died of what I thought was old age (he was 3 yrs old) a few months ago...he got all "crooked" for the lack of a better term and than died but now I have a molly in my 45 gal tank that is crooked too and I'm wondering if it is a disease or what causes that? He has been getting a little bent over the last week or so and today his fins are clamped and he is swimming strangely...I assume he will "check out" tonight but I'm afraid now for all the other healthy fish in my tank. What is this and how would I treat it if I can? THANKS!

Hi Citicricket,

Sorry to hear about your fish's problem.

Fishyfarmacy has an online disease diagnosis tool that is very easy to use.
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/Diseases/Physical_Changes.html
By the sounds of the description you gave, I would guess Tuberculosis. HOWEVER, don't jump to any conclusions just yet. Check the link for the symptoms and it has some suggestions for treatment.

HTH

Another possibility...
I've been watching the same affliction with my gourami. I thought for sure it was TB, and haven't found much for info or diagnosing (I just checked out that fishfarmacy page and was impressed to even see it, let alone treatment!). However, Terry gave me something to think about by suggesting a vitamin deficiency. I poked around some more and did indeed find out I've been depriving my poor fish of a balanced diet....and malnutrition can cause scoliosis.

Dear Loren,
Wat do you feed your fish? How u overcome the malnutrition problem? Thanks

Hi everyone
Hope this helps :- SKELETAL DEFORMITIES.

Distortion of the vertical column is often the most obvious skeletal deformity, as this can affect the fish's general body shape.

The fish'd backbone may appear bent, laterally ( in the horizontal plane)=scoliosis and vertically =lordosis.

Skeletal deformities may arise from collision, infectious deceases,nutritional deficiencies, or be a result of a genetic or developmental adnormality.

In the case of a highly active species, the fish may have collided at speed with the aquarium glass/decor or with the aquarium cover and caused some spinal injury.

There are of cause infectious diseases, certain systemic infections, notably MYCOBACTERIOSIS can damage the skeletal tissues. Resulting in distorted vertebrae.

Nutritional deficiencies: Deficiency in dietary phosphorus, calcium or vitamin C may lead to skeletal deformities in fish.

Genetic and development disorders: Skeletal deformities may be the result of genetic abnormalities, perhaps due to inbreeding or they may have occurred during the early development of the fish.

PREVENTION AND TREATMENT.

The careful selection of good breeding stock and the provision of suitable water conditions during rearing should help prevent genetic and developmental skeletal deformities from occurring.
Dietary-linked deformities are unlikely to occur if a well balanced and varied diet is given. Skeletal damage through collision injury is less easy to prevent, other than by providing stress free conditions which will reduce the likelihood of a fish taking flight and darting through the water.
Once developed, skeletal deformities cannot be rectified. EUTHANASIA may be necessary.

Deformed fish should not be purchased. Given the probable suffering experienced by cultivated deformities such as Blood red parrots and Balloon mollies and many fancy goldfish.

HTH, I think i covered everything.
This info was taken from A-Z of tropical fish diseases and Health problems and was writen by Burges, bailey and exell.

Wow, Terry, yu da man!!! :hat: That's very helpful, broad range of info. Thanks again. I'm just gonna start calling you "Doc"!

As for me, Vega, I won't be able to save this gourami (however, I haven't been able to bring myself to euthenize him yet because he's still active). All I can say is that I am now feeding a higher nutrient flake food (read the ingredient label), along with freeze dried blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. Not all at once becaue now I'm afraid of over-feeding, but I keep the flakes as the daily regular food, and alternate the others. I also was only feeding once a day (evening) and now give them just a bit in the morning too. I'm going to poke around this site and see how other people manage their feedings....the more information I have the better decisions I make.

Loren, your food for the fish sounds well-varied, but if you can I would also add something like spirulina algae or something like that. I have read that the fish also need their veggies, because too much protein can constipate, and they do need the vits/mins in the green stuff. Just a thought...

add something like spirulina algae or something like that. I have read that the fish also need their veggies, because too much protein can constipate, and they do need the vits/mins in the green stuff

I give my pleco algea tabs...is that the same thing? I was feeding it one/day...but have dropped down to 1/2 twice a week...he was pooping all over my tank and not doing his job. I did notice the gourami going down to sneak a nibble behind the pleco's back, it was a real game for him! So, is there something else I can use to get the algea to the regular fish, but keep it from the pleco...like a flake? Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom