Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

what do i do? --- ammonia problem

i've had a ammonia problem in my tank, so i've done pwc and i was using prime in the tank as well after i found out we had a problem.

we did a full water change on saturday and added nutrafin cycle and some prime in there, we still have ammonia present and i just found a guppy with definite signs of ammonia poisoning. what can i do for him? i'm at my wits end with this tank and the ammonia problem.

i've taken him out of the tank and placed him in a small 2 gallon tank with a air bubbler and some new water anything else i can do? is there some kind of treatment for it?

i feel so sad seeing the little guy suffer and i feel like such a terrible person

according to the api test kit i've got .25 ppm of ammonia present.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is really nothing you can do but keep his water super clean.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

0.25 is not that high .. is that before or after the water change?

Also, what is the nitrite level?

If your tank is cycling, the only real treatment is super clean water, which means lots of water changes!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

sadly, the guppy has passed

we only have the kit for ammonia, i'm planning on buying the master kit friday when i get paid from work. when i took the water to get tested at petsmart, she said everything was normal except for the ammonia problem.

do you recommend doing another pwc this soon after a full water change or wait a few more days to let the prime and nutrafin cycle work?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Ideally, you would do water changes based on your test readings. In the absence of tests, daily 10-25% pwc during cycling is good practice. Clean water (as long as it is parameter matched - temp, etc) never hurts.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am deeling with a similar problem with my tank, and now my sisters. I caught the problem early in mine and am doing a half water change at least once a day. If i can before i go to school. So far my fish seam for the most part content but i am still in the early stages... good luck!

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com