What do I do with them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two deformed angelfish fry. One of them I know I'm going to have to euthanize because it's not swimming good because its tail is elongated but the other only has a bent fin and it's not bent that much. What could I do with it? I'm going to be setting up a 55g soon so maybe it could live in there. Also what's the quickest and nicest way to euthanize the other fry? I've read it was clove oil in water but I don't know the water/oil ratio. Here's a picture of the one with the weird tail
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432658848.701949.jpg
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Euthanize both. In my opinion that is. If you have any large fish, I'd do a cycle of life thing and feed them to the larger fish. It's what I do with my culls.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what I do with guppy fry because I don't have room for them. But the only other fish I have are the parents and guppies and the parents have been raising them. Do you have any other ideas?

Freeze em, flush em, etc... I hear freezing is a very peaceful, humane way.

Sry, but I honestly was just giving options. I keep enough bigger fish, I just feed them.

I've freezer and flushed a few times.. just leave them in the freezer for 30 min..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't freeze them, it is actually very painful. I do it to where I make the water right above freezing, around 40ish degrees, then I take the fish and put it straight from the tank to the cup, it goes into shock and doesn't feel a thing. If you freeze it, the blood crystallizes and the fish can feel it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't freeze them, it is actually very painful. I do it to where I make the water right above freezing, around 40ish degrees, then I take the fish and put it straight from the tank to the cup, it goes into shock and doesn't feel a thing. If you freeze it, the blood crystallizes and the fish can feel it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Purely speculation, how could anyone ever know that. I've plopped them into ice water and they just go to sleepies.. no thrashing no screams of excruciating pain.. just dead..

Purely speculation, how could anyone ever know that. I've plopped them into ice water and they just go to sleepies.. no thrashing no screams of excruciating pain.. just dead..

Agreed. There seems to be a No at every turn on this site.

Well to be on the safe side I'll probably just almost freeze the water then put them in it. I don't want them to feel any pain whatsoever. Also the article said to decapitate them after, how would I do that with fry? They are still pretty small (from top to bottom fins they are smaller than a dime).

I wouldn't think you need to worry abt decapitating them. I've actually never even heard of that actually being done by a hobbyist.

If you have the stomach and want a.quick, clean departure? Wrap them in a paper towel and brown bag or news paper, make an x with a marker, grab a hammer or mallet of sorts. One firm whack and they're off to fishy heaven..

Come on guys.. it's a legitimate, humane way to terminate a fish if it's quality of life is to far gone..

I guess I've been crappie fishing too much as of late.

Back
Top Bottom