What do my Neons Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

outofstep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry I couldn't provide pics. I tried taking pictures but they were too darn fast and small for a decent shot.

I just added 6 neons to my tank. Its in the process of cycling. I had 6 originally but 4 died cause the temperature changed to cold on me when I was doing a water change. I was using a Python. I figured the 2 left would be lonely so I bought some more the next week.

So I just got these new ones and I've noticed after the next day they seem kind of sickly looking. They look like they have indentions in their bellies and possibly some missing scales on one them. Also it looks like their is some white film or something on their heads.

I don't think its Ich. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

How big is your tank? I would not recomend neons for cycling the tank, they are pretty sensitive to crappy water conditions. (I would actually recomend the fishless cycling method). Anyways, Im not sure how you change you replace your water, but I suggest 1st pouring the water in a 5 gal bucket while stirring in the dechlorinater liquid. I use my python's gravel syphon or hand to stir. This method also alows you to check the tempature of the water with your hand or thermometer before pouring it in.

Your water parameters would help as well. My guess is overall shock and stress from putting them into a tank that is likely high in ammonia. If you don't have a test kit, you'll need one to know when you cycle is complete.

Back
Top Bottom