What do these symptoms sound like? (Harlequin Rasboras)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had some harlequin rasboras come down with something recently, and I'm not sure what it is. I thought it was columnaris or fungus, but the descriptions of those diseases didn't match what I was seeing. I was treating the tank with daily water changes and aquarium salt. I don't think this has helped.

I recently got a black harlequin rasbora to add to my school of 6 common red harlequin rasboras in my 20 gallon long aquarium. I haven't added a new fish to that tank in months and the harleys have been in there for about half a year. I put the new black harley into my ten gallon tank that until recently housed a large colony of cherry shrimp(The summer heat wiped out all but seven of them, unfortunately.) So this fish was supposed to stay in this tank for a while until I deemed it healthy enough to join the others. Then it came down with the symptoms that I'll list below, and died after three days. I accidentally used the gravel vacuum from the ten gallon in the twenty because I was lightheaded and not thinking correctly, and then very soon the harleys in the twenty started coming down with the symptoms, too! I moved all infected fish to the ten gallon with the cherry shrimp. This has only infected my harlequin rasboras. My four espei rasboras, one bolivian ram, one sparkling gourami, and five kuhli loaches all seem unaffected and healthy. I have two more harlequin rasboras who are not infected and are still in the 20 long, apparently healthy.

Five fish total have been affected so far, and three have died. The two remaining look pretty bad and I don't expect them to survive. Each fish that died has died within three days of showing the symptoms, and the last two are on their fourth day.

Physical symptoms:
Fins quickly turn opaque white and are clamped. Five fish had this symptom, but the fins they had it in varied. All affected fish had 1-4 of their fins white. Some had entire fins turn white, others just had the tips or edges. The white stuff hasn't really spread over other parts of the body. Two fish had a white dull, dusty look on their sides. I'm not sure if this was the white stuff spreading or if they were just turning pale from stress. One fish has damage on her dorsal fin, but I'm not sure if this is from the disease or from nipping. She only has one eye, so it's possible that another fish just ambushed her from her blind side and chomped on her fin. (I received this fish with only one eye, and she was healthy before this disease thing happened) Her fin turned white after it became shredded.

Behavior symptoms:
Fish appear to have trouble swimming, and occasionally are a little jittery. (I think their fins are hurting them.) Near death, they tended to point upwards and occasionally flip over as if they couldn't keep their balance.
Fish stay in one corner of the tank.
They won't eat. One exception is after two days of them showing no interest in food, my one-eyed harlequin rasbora eagerly ate flakes when I fed the sick fish tonight. She swam around the tank for a bit until settling back into the corner. The one other surviving fish still won't eat and looks worse.

Does this stuff sound familiar to anyone? I haven't found any disease photos or descriptions that match what my fish have. Also, it seems to be selectively affecting the harlequins. :confused:
I was planning on moving the espeis to the ten gallon when all was said and done with the black harlequin rasbora, but now that half of my harleys are either dead or almost dead, I think I'll just keep the espeis in the 20 and get a betta for the ten gallon when I'm sure it's disease-free.

Have you tried a 5-30 minute salt dip? That worked wonders on my harliqiun Rasboras. I did it that way because I also have kuhli loaches and was worried about putting salt in my big fish tank.

With the salt dip I saw a change in my fish in under 24 hours.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Tank

Hello Rach...

Small tanks are difficult to maintain. The water chemistry can change quickly and stress even the hardiest of fish like your Rasboras. Stress allows parasites that live in most tanks in a dormant state most times to infect fish.

Large, frequent water changes of half the tank's volume every few days is helpful as is careful vacuuming of the bottom material. The majority of parasites will be living there.

Salt is helpful, but too much will damage sensitive plants, so keep the dose to roughly a couple of teaspoons for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water.

You can raise the temperature in the tank 10 degrees or to around 85. More heat than this and you risk plant damage.

Increase the filtration. Add a small filter that hangs on the back of the tank. This will mix more oxygen into the water.

You can follow these steps for as long as it takes the fish to improve. And look into a larger tank. They give you a much better chance of keeping fish and plants healthy.

B

Unfortunately I cannot get a larger tank. I lost my job and have no money, and have no space for a larger tank anyway. I wasn't even supposed to get my 20 and ten gallon tanks. Landlord was mad when he found out...

The ambient room temperature is actually 86 degrees, thanks to the summer heat. I can't get it lower than this...darn heat killed all of my shrimp a month ago. :(
I'm already using salt. The heat and salt isn't harming my plants, though. Rotundifolia and java ferns are awesome like that.

I really don't think this is a parasite, Bradbury. Looks like an infection or maybe fungus.

Bloodroot, what was wrong with your rasboras when you dipped them? Symptoms similar to mine?

It's most likely from the temp, once I turned the heat up to 86 to treat ich and my Galaxy rasboras started dropping like flies. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's most likely from the temp, once I turned the heat up to 86 to treat ich and my Galaxy rasboras started dropping like flies. .

Did they get infection-like stuff like this?

It's stresses them out and leaves them susceptible to any of the numerous nasties present in your aquarium at all times..

+1

I have never seen rasboras rated for higher temperature water.

As for my one rasbora he had one white fin that he didn't use pretty much at all. If I looked very close you could see some white fluff right where his fin met his body. He also did the random flipping over and hanging out in one place.

Then I need to get the temperature down somehow. I don't think I have any way to do that...

You could freeze bottles of water snd float them in the tank, that'd be the most economical anyways;)

You could freeze bottles of water snd float them in the tank, that'd be the most economical anyways;)

+1

Unfortunately, using ice bottles will lower the temp but not control the temp. The constant fluctuation will cause other problems for the fish.
2 possible remedies: #1-Increase the aeration in the tank. Higher temps decrease the oxygen level in the water which may be the cause of your fish's distress. Increasing the aeration will also help lower the water temp slightly. The more surface agitation you can do( within reason), the better.
#2-It would be better to have a fan blowing at the tank to try to lower the temp that way. It may only be a couple of degrees lower but 82/84 degrees is better than 86 +. With that, you will need to reconsider your fish types to keep. Fish that require cooler temps are not advisable. A/C for the room would be a better alternative if it will keep the room at a constant temp.

Hope this helps

Unfortunately, using ice bottles will lower the temp but not control the temp. The constant fluctuation will cause other problems for the fish.
2 possible remedies: #1-Increase the aeration in the tank. Higher temps decrease the oxygen level in the water which may be the cause of your fish's distress. Increasing the aeration will also help lower the water temp slightly. The more surface agitation you can do( within reason), the better.
#2-It would be better to have a fan blowing at the tank to try to lower the temp that way. It may only be a couple of degrees lower but 82/84 degrees is better than 86 +. With that, you will need to reconsider your fish types to keep. Fish that require cooler temps are not advisable. A/C for the room would be a better alternative if it will keep the room at a constant temp.

Hope this helps

Ooo! Put the ice bottle in between the fan and the tank! Colder air! But you would have to be up for placing a new bottle befor the other one melts... so that there is no drastic change in the air blowing...

Fairly heart-breaking :(

To me it reads as a bacterial infection all up and if so, that's going to be difficult to control with those temps.

Assuming funds are tight than water changes and strong salt dips would be what I would try. For me (just for me) if I couldn't QT sick fish like that and it's progressively wiping out the school, I'd put them down as they get sick (or put them in their own bucket of water with an air stone and large water changes). This would aim to stop it infecting your other fish which sound quite healthy.

Fairly heart-breaking :(

To me it reads as a bacterial infection all up and if so, that's going to be difficult to control with those temps.

Assuming funds are tight than water changes and strong salt dips would be what I would try. For me (just for me) if I couldn't QT sick fish like that and it's progressively wiping out the school, I'd put them down as they get sick (or put them in their own bucket of water with an air stone and large water changes). This would aim to stop it infecting your other fish which sound quite healthy.

The sick fish were all moved to the ten-gallon, and the rest of the fish in the twenty are all healthy, as far as I can tell. I hope it stays that way.

I don't think I can do the ice bottle thing, since they don't like me putting stuff in the freezer here. I have one small shelf in the fridge, but the freezer is off-limits. I don't even own a fan. :(

I can set the water level lower so that the filter water breaks the surface more. That would work, right?

Of the two remaining sick rasboras, the bigger one is still looking bad and has reached the stage of flipping over, but the little one-eyed one is actually looking better, swimming around and eating with mostly clear fins. I think I should put the big one down and maybe give one-eye a salt dip. What a tough little fish. She's barely over an inch long, and she's already survived losing an eye and seems to be overcoming this.

The sick fish were all moved to the ten-gallon, and the rest of the fish in the twenty are all healthy, as far as I can tell. I hope it stays that way.

I don't think I can do the ice bottle thing, since they don't like me putting stuff in the freezer here. I have one small shelf in the fridge, but the freezer is off-limits. I don't even own a fan. :(

I can set the water level lower so that the filter water breaks the surface more. That would work, right?

Of the two remaining sick rasboras, the bigger one is still looking bad and has reached the stage of flipping over, but the little one-eyed one is actually looking better, swimming around and eating with mostly clear fins. I think I should put the big one down and maybe give one-eye a salt dip. What a tough little fish. She's barely over an inch long, and she's already survived losing an eye and seems to be overcoming this.

Sorry, missed the 10gal QT. Dropping the water surface a little is worth a try. Yes, imo I would only try saving the ones you think possible. It sounds heartless but for me it has worked out better to try and save some from the school instead of losing the lot.

Out of interest would you have the ph or any other readings on the 10gal? If not, no need - I was just curious.

Sorry, missed the 10gal QT. Dropping the water surface a little is worth a try. Yes, imo I would only try saving the ones you think possible. It sounds heartless but for me it has worked out better to try and save some from the school instead of losing the lot.

Out of interest would you have the ph or any other readings on the 10gal? If not, no need - I was just curious.

Ph is about 7.8 in both tanks, and may go up to 8.2 when I do big enough water changes(According to liquid drop tests) so I try to do more frequent small changes. No ammonia, nitrite, and little to no nitrate in the ten, usually about five in the twenty. I've got lots of plants to suck nitrate up so I think it's supposed be that low.

Ph is about 7.8 in both tanks, and may go up to 8.2 when I do big enough water changes(According to liquid drop tests) so I try to do more frequent small changes. No ammonia, nitrite, and little to no nitrate in the ten, usually about five in the twenty. I've got lots of plants to suck nitrate up so I think it's supposed be that low.

Thanks, it's just a separate pet theory I'm working on (unfortunately not much practical use). I can't think of much else, I'd skip buying any fish for a month after it is gone as it could still be lingering around out of sight.

Back
Top Bottom