What do you do after QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm on day 7 of Melafix treatment in a 5 gal bucket and the Cory is still alive.

New concern: The fin rot on the Cory was fairly extensive. His tail fin was basically gone when I started treatment. (It looked like it had been cut clean off.) At what point do I reintroduce him to the community tank after treatment?

I ask b/c I imagine it will take quite a while for the fin to re-grow, if at all. But I assume that after the full 7 day treatment, as the bottle recommends, that the infection is killed and he's ok and should be with his friends for a positive psychological boost.

So for now I plan on putting him back in my 20 gal by the end of the week. Please anyone tell me if I am making a mistake. This is the first real QT I've ever done. :uhoh:

Is there any sign of the infection still? If so I would not reintroduce him to the tank. I would wait another week. If there is no sign of the infection, reintroduce him to the tank and keep a very close eye on him. Also make sure the water in the main tank is pristine.

I agree with Zagz. You'll be surprised at how fast Melafix can work. Give it another week and you should see drastic improvement. When you see his tail start to regrow and look healthy, then I think you'll be okay to put him back in the tank. But, like Zagz said, keeping good water quality will be very important.

Wow. Ok. I thought I was good to go.

As far as a sign of infection, I mean, he's still alive and has been in QT with treatment for a week. It hasn't gotten any worse. I assume whatever was attacking his fins is gone. I also assume he got it from the waste on the bottom.

I'll vacuum again and give it a few more days then. My concern is he is in one of those white 5 gallon paint buckets (obviously never had paint in it) with no heater or light, but someone told me they tolerate down to 70 degrees and it does not get that cold in here. I just can't imagine it's helping his psyche and I can't tell if he's eating.

Back
Top Bottom